February 16, 2010

Granny dear, mother mine, old and gray at 29, not for the life of me!

I turn 30 on Saturday, and the funk has begun. I hate getting older. Truly, I loathe it. I didn't like it when I was a kid either, so it's not new. I don't know why I personally have always been youth obsessed, but apparently that's my schtick. Around Valentine's day is when it gets icky, and this year proved to follow in that very pattern. I mean, I'm grateful for the show I was a part of as it served to distract me (for the most part) from my glumness. I have been sick and without a regular voice for about 10 days now, which is certainly not helping the situation. That along with the fact that I've recently had a friendship change considerably, and not for the better of which I was acutely aware throughout the show, this year isn't a great one for perky optimism. I seriously believe I suffer from seasonal depressions, but not necessarily every year. It's not fun. I don't like falling into that abyss which eats at me and makes me feel like a failure with no direction in life. It's certainly not the worst case I've suffered, nor is it a mild case.

Anyway, I have been absent from this blog for quite awhile, but I think that the completion of grad classes will help. I've missed writing for this online journal.I highly doubt I have any readers and that is more than okay. That's not why I do this.

And now . . . for the one consistent . . . the birthday list!

30 movies I would highly recommend to others:

1) Gone With the Wind
2) Much Ado About Nothing
3) A&E's Pride and Prejudice
4) Dead Poet's Society
5) All About Eve
6) Anne of Green Gables
7) Singing in the Rain
8) That Thing You Do
9) The Reluctant Debutante
10) Newsies
11) Darby O'Gill and the Little People
12) Sleeping Beauty
13) Enchanted
14) Charade
15) Sense and Sensibility (Emma Thompson's script and acting)
16) You've Got Mail
17) White Christmas
18) Stranger than Fiction
19) Laura
20) Meet Me in St. Louis
21) Ballet Shoes
22) The Parent Trap(Haley Mills)
23) Mean Girls
24) Up
25) Gentleman's Agreement
26) What's Up Doc?
27) Return to Me
28) Waiting for Guffman
29) Across the Universe
30) The Muppets Take Manhatten

All movies I have enjoyed for a variety of reasons. I may be the only person who enjoys each of them as a list, but I do enjoy them. For some reason, this list was easier to write than the others! I have more to recommend, no doubt, but these certainly came to mind (and, in some cases, sight) today. I dare someone to watch them all and not find one they enjoy. Really. I DARE you! :)

The title of today's post was lifted from lyrics from the song "Not for the Life of Me" from Thoroughly Modern Millie.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm still here. :) I'm sorry that you're in a funk. I know the feeling. The weather has been WRETCHED here for weeks.

notforthelifeofme said...

I've heard! I've always wanted to live on the East Coast, but one huge drawback that always acts as an obstacle for me is the thought of going through a New England winter. You are strong and brave friend!!!! :) Oh, got your e-mail; I'll be responding (perhaps this weekend?) when I get more than 5 minutes to focus on it.

Anonymous said...

I still read your blog...when you post. ~ Chris