September 10, 2004

Sillohetted by the blue . . .

Esther left last night, as did another fellow NNU alumnus, Kari Bray. Esther and I had fun in Virginia City. I finally went into the "Castle" (a.k.a. the Victorian Mansion). Awesome! Oh, and I also did another first up there--I gambled for the first time ever! I mean, not "I'll match your starburst, and raise you a snickers," like we cousins used to do while playing Poker at the family reunions. Gosh I miss those days! Anyway, I used the legitimate slot machines in the Bucket of Blood Saloon in V.C.

We had Coldstone after church on Saturday with my parents and Nina. Oh, and about 7 of my students! I was literally attacked! It was funny. They met my parents and made themselves at home at our table. Once they learned that Mr. Jordan was at my mom's school, they flipped!

On Monday, I went up to Tahoe to spend the day with Kari and Esther (who were camping). I went kayaking for the first time ever! It was a ball. I always forget how much the lake has to offer. It was warm and wonderful. I'd like to go again. Perhaps Parasailing and jet skiing is not to far behind.

We are finally in the theatre for rehearsals of Once Upon a Matress. I'm only about a ten minute walk from home now--Yipee! Tons of fun. I showed Stephanie and Hanna pictures that my 11th and 12th graders drew for The Iliad (they're hysterical). Helen is a complete tramp (starting the entire Trojan War by leaving her husband for Prince Paris and all) in the picture! :) I called Hanna "slutty Helen" after something she did, and Chris (Dauntless) looked stunned! I had to therefore go back and explain. His expression was priceless!

School is going well. The 10th graders are in love with the play Medea as I knew they would be. Hah! I made them like school! I made them like my English class! Got 'em, huh? Skepticism should not be so prominent when a teachers promises "You'll love this play!" After all, I know these kids. I wouldn't choose something that I found boring.

The title, what you've all been waiting for, huh? It comes from a song called "Our Children" from the wonderful Ragtime. It reminded me of my lovely kayaking experience.

No comments: