September 26, 2004

Another Op'nin, Another Show!

Yes, all my dear dedicated readers, the show has opened. My week has been insane.

I walked into school Monday with a lovely cold. Each day before school, we have either a meeting or devotions. I found Mr. Libby beforehand and declared, "I have the distinct feeling I will be sick on Friday." He seemed a tad amused by this foretelling of the future, probably because he had no idea I had this gift. I explained how I was already feeling miserable, and it was tech week. He simply responded, "Let me know on Thursday." Understanding principals are the greatest! I only had that one half of a sick day last year, so I feel fine about taking it.

Rehearsals have been interesting, to say the least. Since my cold kicked in, my natural tendency to not eat for lack of hunger has started. Well, I'm trying to eat, to keep my strength up. However, it seems that anytime I have more than a Saltine, I begin to feel quesy. And my cold seems to be dispersing, so I'm not sure what the deal is. Icky. Well, back to the rehearsals, I've felt gross every night. Lovely.

Our Opening Night was Friday. There were a couple of mishaps, as is to be expected. However, the worst thing ever happened! Stephanie had been given new blocking for the part where she falls over the wall into the moat. We were all to crowd around the door as she fell onto some of the mattresses. Yeah, it didn't happen. Somebody moved the mattresses, and she hit the stage. Hard. She continued with the show, though.

Last night, I talked to her beforehand. We've been swapping sick stories, since it's affecting both of us. Apparently, her pain has been incessant and everything hurts. She wasn't sure she could sing loud! What would happen to "Shy?" "Happily Ever After?" How was she supposed to dance "The Spanish Panic?" I did some serious praying for the girl. Guess what? I've never seen her do any of the show better than last night! What a pro!

My insomnia has caught up with me. Wonderful. Why can't I be normal in any way????? So, I've decided to work on my grading. After all, I only accomplished 4 1/2 papers by Thursday. I worked all day Friday on grading. I worked yesterday on grading and creating two literature tests. If I work diligently, perhaps I will finish what I have now! One can hope, anyway!

The title is taken from the song from Kiss Me Kate. Fun number, but (much in the style of Cole Porter), too long and too repetetive. I don't think the guy knew when to stop after he had a hit! At least, with his catchy numbers anyway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey I was wondering...
You say there's a Stephanie Dixon in your production. Did she graduate from Western Baptist College? Because that's where I went and a Stephanie Dixon lived right down the hall from me.

Just wondering...

--Steph S.

Lynette said...

No, this Stephanie Dixon is actually in her very early twenties and goes to a community college in Lake Tahoe; which is where she lives.