May 23, 2004

There is only one happy storybook ending

Yes, the title of this post is also drawn from a musical. Like that's a shock, huh? :) Yes, musical theatre can actually apply to anything, just like literature! This particular lyric comes from the musical The Scarlet Pimpernel. I love that musical! I also adore the novel. I read the whole thing on the plane ride from Denver to NYC last summer. I devour the novels I enjoy, and then go back later for savoring. Perhaps this isn't the most mature way of reading, but it's hard for me to slow myself down when I'm reading a great book. I suppose it is a way to satisfy the curiosity I cannot contain. At least you can control it with your reading. In life, you must wait! Grr. :)

Now that I'm off my soapbox, I sit here typing and reveling in the beauty that is Rodgers and Hammerstein music. I'm listening to the Broadway radio station on the internet. Presently, it is playing "This Nearly was Mine" from South Pacific. I love the music in this show. It is definitely not my favorite show of theirs to watch, but it may have the best music! It's a toss up between that, Carousel and The King and I. I can never fully make up my mind as to which of the three is the superior. I go back and forth constantly.

Perhaps my abstract random ways should now come into focus. Come on Concrete Sequential side! What an odd combination in one person! Yet, these two ways were always within one point of each other for me and clearly what I was.

Okay, so the Author's Tea I had with the Jr. and Sr. class went well on Friday. I had each of the students pick one author whom they would study throughout the year. The students had to choose 3 novels to read by that author and then write a paper on the author's life. Each was to present a 5 minute speech about his or her author at the tea and dress as either the author or a character from a novel. It was funny to see! Jon came as Gandalf, and Nathan (excuse me, F. Scott Fitzgerald) made him a white wizard hat about 3 ft. tall! Hilarious! Two of the girls decided not to come to class. One turned in her paper and sources, then went home to SLEEP! Another decided to take off the whole day to get her hair done for Douglas High School's Prom that evening! Needless to say, I was livid. What is wrong with parents who let their children do this? I really am not surprised at the state of our society when parents allow this. I enjoyed having a tea as close to the one I enjoyed at Fortnum and Mason two years ago. London is still on my list of places to live. One day, I shall!

In addition to grading, laundry, spending time with Uncle Jacque, Aunt Laurie, Halley, church and creating a test for the play The Diary of Anne Frank, I also spent some time indulging in quality entertainment this weekend. On Friday, I took myself to see Shrek 2. I must admit, I think I laughed more than the kids at the movie! I found the movie hilarious, and I loved the fact that Jennifer Saunders was the Fairy Godmother. She is awesome. Julie Andrews, John Cleese, Rupert Evrett--wonderful use of the British performers.

I also went to see WNMTC's (Western Nevada Musical Theatre Company) production of Camelot yesterday afternoon prior to church. Kristen had never seen it, and she liked it. It completely reminded me of performing this musical in high school--my favorite musical that I performed at the high school. I thought the show was well cast and performed extraordinarily well. I was crying at the end of the show when Lancelot and Guinevere meet Arthur and claim they want to return to Camelot to face the punishment both know they deserve, and Arthur says he won't let them. He would not want to witness the two being killed because he loves them too much. Oh! It gets me every time!I think that the last time I cried at the theatre was during West Side Story last year, by the same group. Coincidentally, the guy who was Tony in that was Lancelot in this show. I've decided I am in love with his voice, I seriously get chills! I'm summoning up the courage to audition for both Once Upon A Matress and Carousel this summer. This company holds auditions for two shows at a time. I hate auditions no matter what, but I find them especially hideous when I've never worked with a group before. I've been to one of the auditions before, to take Nina. It was madness! I'd say there were over 100 people present! I'm pretty determined, though. The last non-church thing I performed in was Brigadoon at NNU. It's been far too long. So, I'm thinking of singing either "Not for the Life of Me" from Millie, or "Popular" from Wicked. Both of these songs have serious and fun parts. Pray for me on the 22nd of June! I'll be quivering, I'm sure!

If anyone is interested, I've also decided to begin posting my reading list. I find it to be fun learning what others are reading. For my classic novel: Great Expectations by Dickens. For my Young Adult Novel: When Lightning Strikes by Meg Cabot (author of The Princess Diary series--very fun to read). For my poetry, I'm in the midst of a collection of Robert Browning and Elizabeth Barrett Browning. I am not yet reading a biography or autobiography (which is also part of my systematic reading cycle), but I believe I may want to read something about Abigail Adams.

It is time to surrender my time to responsibility, so I must say, "Au Revoir!"

No comments: