May 30, 2004

Hurry Up! Can't Waste Time!

Yes, for all of you musical afficiandos, this is a lyric from the classic, ever-popular, quintessential 1950s musical, The Pajama Game. Have you noticed a theme in my titles? It wasn't even on purpose--until right now. I am that much of a nerd, but I can accept this fact.

Anyhoo, this lyric seems to sum up my life at the moment--ack!!!!!!!! I am attempting to finish all of my grading by Monday night (Thank you Lord for Diane's sanity and clarity of mind which You provided her, so that we do not have choir rehearsal on Monday night!). If all goes according to my goal, I will have no more grading for the 2003-2004 school year after Monday. Loverly! Is this feasible? I certainly hope so!

In addition to the pile of grading (whose height, I fear, is the equivelent to Mt. Everest), I also have a pretty hefty schedule at the moment. I have church obligations, family obligations, mental obligations . . . Sigh. And to think, back at this time last year, my life was so unfull and dull that I thought I would go mad.

Ooh! We're passing out the yearbooks on Wednesday! I am utterly thrilled at the prospect of our hardwork being passed out to the pleasure and excitement of the CCS body. Kristen was the advisor, which naturally made me an assistant advisor, considering the fact that we had three of my students spend one night, and in the course of about 15 hours (including sleep), the yearbook was completed. I suppose I could have worked on my own thing upstairs, or went out, but I couldn't very well leave my roomate unattended with double sided tape and pictures could I? Especially at the mercy of three girls in their pre-teen to early teen years (12-14). It may have proved to be amusing, but unforgivably rude, I fear.

****HEAR YE! HEAR YE! A PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT TO ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN A MILESTONE EVENT IN THE LIFE OF LYNETTE IRENE BROWN, THE FIRST!*****

I have officially done it. I received something in the mail from NNU yesterday. Curious, I opened the envelope from my beloved alma mater (it has since become beloved, due to the contents of the envelope). The first thing I found was a check, for about $100. OOH! Exciting! Maybe the school is making good on the "Ring by Spring, or your money back" deal that was said to be a funny rumor. The next item I noticed was one of my checks (Beautiful European castles, for all those interested) with letters in strong, black ink, "VOID." I realized this check, which was now useless, was the last payment I had sent on my Revolving Loan (the one that paid for England!). I then opened the letter, which stated that I had fully paid my loan back (which I was counting on being in August), and not only that; but I had overpaid the loan (with interest) in April! The last thing I opened was the paperwork I had signed promising to pay back the loan with a beautiful red stamp declaring, "PAID." YEAH! One down, two to go! I know it may seem highly ridiculous, but I am thrilled beyond belief. It took me less than a year (I definitely paid more than was necessary each month to acheive this goal), and I have finished. Yes, it was the smallest one. Yes, this is something many people feel, so perhaps I should not get too excited about this. But, I have done it and feel as though a celebration is in order! Tomorrow, I'm going to the Senior Follies show at the community center to hear my Grandpa Smith sing with his gorgeous voice. Afterwards, we're all going to the Nugget to eat. Then it is on to Jacque and Laurie's where, I've been told, we will roast marshmallows and visit. I intend to bring the rest of my payment coupons to burn. "Burn the bridge/Bet the store/Baby's comin' home/No more/Not for the life of me/Break the lock/Post my bail/Done my time/I'm outta jail/Not for the life of me!" Ah, the lovely Millie lyrics again come to my rescue.

Seeing as it is now 4:30, I shall retire and dream wonderful things about tonight's sermon at church. Pastor Joel has been preaching from 1st Corinthians, and reached Chapter 7 recently. Last week and this week were a two part lesson. They were about the Gift of being Single. Kristen and I loved it, and let him know! It was wonderful--they both were! I think he should speak at NNU during their special Spiritual Awareness (or whatever it was called) with these sermons. Joel is an awesome "teacher" (as he prefers to call himself), and I think it would be a good thing for some of those kids to hear. He talked about being content with the gift God has given us, whether it is marriage or singlehood. He spoke a lot on how people shouldn't push singles into marrying, or look upon them as inferior. There are many at our church, who I hoped paid attention to these messages. I am content with being single, and it bothers me when others seem to pity my single state. I choose not to lower my standards and expectations just to have a boyfriend or a spouse. I'm more concerned with it being right than just having a relationship. If that means I am to be single forever, well, I can live with this. If that means that someday I will have a husband, I can live with this, too. Joel talked about how he felt sorry for people who were out, just to get married. It was all I could do not to whoop and yell, "Amen, brother!" I don't recall ever hearing a sermon like this before, and I don't know if I'll ever get a chance again. I'm just glad I was there and I did hear it--both parts. It was very refreshing.

So, with this, I must add (in the style of Ethel Pees from Millie) "Goooooooodnight!"

No comments: