July 14, 2004

Into the fire we go!

Quick note all, and not nearly as cool as the musical The Scarlet Pimpernel would lead us to believe. Pray for me right now. I'm at my parent's home. After work, I went to their house for dinner. I even forgot to go to my house to pick up the laundry I was planning on bringing. I cannot go back to my apartment tonight. If you've been paying attention to the news tonight, you'll realize that, basically, Carson City has become what the library announced a few years ago during the summer when the C fell off the sign (ARSON CITY PUBLIC LIBRARY). Yes, my town is ablaze, possibly begun by teenagers partying at 2 am. Our city is full of smoke, ash and flames. I literally cannot drive to my own house right now, as the roads are blocked off. I may not be able to go to work tomorrow. A family in my church just moved from Dayton to Carson City in the last month. Their house was apparently the first one that burned down. An auto shop was demolished and there are chemical fumes floating about in our densly polluted air at the moment. When my roommate was driving down Carson St. (which is also Hwy 395, and our main st.), she could not only see the flames from the opposite side of the road, she could feel the heat! Scary stuff. Pray for the people in the danger zones. Pray that our house remains. Pray for the evacuees staying at Carson High School.

Clearly, Carson is a hopping town now. What with our armed thief fleeing from the police yesterday to Tahoe and having the road from Carson to Tahoe closed for over 12 hours yesterday and our fires in Yosemite and Carson City today--we're a great place for tourism! Come and visit; I'm sure we're only going to be infiltrated by angry UFO's next!

No comments: