July 24, 2004

Well did you evah? What a swell party this is!

Hello those outside of Carson City! As I am a newspaper hog at work during my break (I'm starving for something to read during those precious 15 minutes and don't have anywhere to put my books while working!), I have become much more aware of what's been going on with the fire. Apparently, over 8,000 acres burned, and the fire became contained around 6 pm on Tuesday night.

So, just to prove how ridiculous the Americans can be, I want to share something with you all. I read that on Tuesday, around noon, there is going to be a local gathering to show Carson's appreciation for all those who worked on stopping the fire. Yes, at the lawn of the Capital building there is to be (I couldn't believe it) a BARBEQUE!!!!!!!!!!!! How sick are the pople around here? I'm not sure who gave birth to the "brilliant" idea, but clearly the irony escaped their notice.

Oh, congratulations are to be extended to Chris and Stephanie Tiner. The two recently gave birth to a girl--Kadee Joy Tiner. She is named after her aunt Kadee, and (I believe) Joy Lindner. However, Kara Lyons was convinced that Joy was for her! :) Okay, maybe not, but she did not fail to notice the Joy connection.

So, the title comes from a song called "Well Did You Evah?" by Cole Porter. This song was used in the musical "Dubarry Was a Lady," which starred Jimmy Durante and Ethel Merman. Fun fact: The agents got into an argument over who should get the top billing at the theatre. The producers came up with a solution that had never and has not since been used. The criss crossed the names above the title on the marquee. The things you learn! Anyway, it was also used in the movie "High Society" and sung by the "drunk" Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby. The song is hilarious. I must admit, I was inspired after seeing the movie De-Lovely this evening. The theater was filled with older people and myself, but I had a grand time and frequently had to stifle my urges to sing along--especially with the songs from "Anything Goes." At the end of the movie, I did sing along with "It's De-Lovely" from "Red, Hot and Blue" which was later put in the version of "Anything Goes" which I was in 9 years ago. I used this title in reference to the Carson City and the fabulous idea of the barbeque!

No comments: