July 21, 2004

On a clear day, you can see forever . . .

Things are much better out here in our significantly darker part of Nevada. It was so smoky that my roommate literally could not stay here for more than about 15 minutes to about an hour. Kristen developed a heart condition in junior high, and she could not breathe without severe difficulty.

I drove home one night and was mesmerized by the sight that met my eye. The time was about 10:30 pm and pitch black. There are hills that normally one cannot see during the night were sillouheted by a line of a bright red, orange, yellow brightness. I had a tough time driving home that night. I was torn between the horrific reality of what this light really was, and the sheer beauty of what I was seeing. At any rate, it was not the easiest thing to concentrate on the memorized road home. During the day, it was easier to watch the road, because the billowing masses of smoke. When I was out of my car, I kept seeing the flakes of ash meander through the air, as though they were snowflakes.

I was wheezing all weekend because of the contaminated air. It was so miserable to be in my area of Carson. I was advised by the news, other people and my own good instinct to keep the windows shut. This action did not really make life any better at the Brown/Joyner apartment with our lack of air conditioning. Last I heard, the fire was estimated to be contained by today. I haven't really heard anything since, but I feel safe opening my windows again. I can breathe deeply while out of doors now. Over 2,000 acres burned. The hills just behind Carson St. (Applebees, and the like) are completely blackened. Not that the dead grass was all that attractive, but it definitely is more depressing to see now.

I hope everyone reading is well. Take time to appreciate the things and security you have. I know that I will . . . nor will I take for granted the sheer wonderful blessing that is smoke-free CO2. This quote from the title number of the musical by the same name felt like the perfect description for my newfound appreciation.

No comments: