July 01, 2004

Oh what a beautiful day!

Congratulations must be offered to my lovely parents. On this day, 26 years ago (1978 for all of you to lazy to do the math), my father and mother married. They remain married, still get a kick out of each other, and still enjoy kissing in front of their three daughters (who pretend to be disgusted, as opposed to 16 years ago, when it really was gross). May the two of you continually grow in your love for each other, family, and God.

That sentimental mushiness being done with, I would like to mention a rare find in Reno, Nevada today. Aunt Laurie called me up on Monday to invite me to go patio-furniture shopping with her yesterday (Wed). Seeing as she is an absolute hoot and Janina was coming along, I readily agreed. It was a very good day.

Together, the three of us searched to find Aunt Laurie's neighbor's furniture place. Alas, it was not to be found. We explored two rather posh places (next to the Audi/Porsche/$$$ car dealership) before throwing the towel in. Aunt Laurie and I were starved. We had lunch at the Macaroni Grill. MMM. Feed me Italian any day!

Aunt Laurie thought she had seen some thrift stores along 4th St. Janina and I laughed together as we "educated" Aunt Laurie. Now, I know 4th St. has many other "goods to sell," but it also happens to be the known (shall I say shopping center) for Prostitutes in the evenings. Laurie did not know this. She did not seem so keen on looking in the thrift stores then. We mutually agreed that Laurie must have been on another street when seeing this plethora of thrift stores, because we did not see many at all.

So, we headed down Virginia St. I now must pause and share my enthusiasm for serendipidious discoveries. By sheer luck (or Providence), we discovered a most amazing gem; a vintage clothing shop. This particular shop seemed to focus most on clothing from the 1920s-1960s. It was heavenly bliss. I tried on several terrific hats as I admired the clothing. Once again I questioned God as to why I was born in the 1980s. I was clearly meant to be born around 1935 or so. Perhaps this is a reason I love drama to the extent I do. It gives me a chance to "live" in another era, even for a little while.

We moved on to an Antique mall which was not far down the street. I pawed through the books, furniture,pictures and artifacts, wishing I had an unlimited well of money which would allow me to purchase some of the treasure I unearthed. Since this was not to be, I settled on a fun picture of the members of the Rat Pack and (I ask that the reader stands in reverence) a Playbill for the original company of Bye Bye Birdie! Yes, it's true. The 1960 musical which starred Chita Rivera, Susan Watson, and Dick Van Dyke prior to his famous show, Mary Poppins or Chitty Chitty Bang Bang performance. What are the odds? It is in mint condition and a pleasure to own.

The three of us headed to Sparks in order go to the Ben and Jerry's store afterwards. I had a Dublin Mudslide sundae which was amazing. Do try it; you will NOT regret it, and your tastebuds will thank you. We headed home after, and were able to talk to both Kelsey and Halley on the phone. I had to tease Halley on her Disneyland training. She is to be on the janitorial staff, just like Kelsey, at DCA (Disney California Adventure). Apparently, she has three weekends of training--the final being "Advance Sweeping!" I thought that was one of the most amusing things I'd heard in a long while!

In the evening, I went to see Spiderman 2 with Kristen, her four younger brothers, and two of their friends. It was great! I can't wait for the third to come out; although then they will be done! :(

Now, it is time to relax with a great novel and hope today will be as rewarding as yesterday. Oh, and if you're puzzled as to my title, just think of Oklahoma! Two quick fun facts about the movie: 1) They wanted to film it in Oklahoma, but it was impossible to find a great spot without oil machines to ruin the shots. It was filmed in Arizona, and the govenors of Oklahoma and Arizona agreed that for the duration of the filming, that bit of Arizona was an honorary section of Oklahoma! 2) Because Curly sings "The corn is as high as an elephant's eye," the director wanted tall stalks of corn. He turned to a particular group of science students at a nearby university for help. They managed to genetically enhance the corn, so that it was over 8 ft. tall! Not only did Gordan MacRae have to ride his horse, they had to have the horse walk on a platform to make it look natural!

Well, now that I have thoroughly entertained you (and wished my mother a happy birthday on the 5th if I don't blog until then), I hope you have a beautiful morning, a beautiful day, a beautiful feeling, and that everything is going your way!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My mom's a hoot? And, btw, we are NOT janitors, but custodians...get right, girlie. Hehe, yeah, it's Kelsey (again). Hey, you saw Spidey, too? It was awesome, huh! So cool. Anyway, I love ya!