August 09, 2004

Because I was afraid to speak when I was just a lad . . .

Just pondering on something . . . Kristen has turned me onto (yes, I'm admitting it publicly, with little shame) the reality show Big Brother 5. How sad am I? At any rate, I was dying on Saturday night when I watched the episode. First off--kudos to Nakomis! She did the smartest nomination as the HOH that I've yet seen. Good for her! Playing the game intelligently is so rarely seen.

What I was laughing at was Michael not being able to speak. What they showed was so funny to me! The fact that he tried approximately 45 times to say "Maclintock" (the John Wayne movie) and never could, and later said "Lonesome Dove" was his favorite movie. How funny!

Which got me thinking: what do I say wrong? The word reprise is something I never say correctly. I always say "repreese" as opposed to reprise. Why do I do this? The spelling should tell me something. Another word which I always have to consciously think of as I'm saying is the word chipmunk. When I was a little girl, I always said "chickmunk." I didn't realize this until someone pointed it out to me in about Junior High. If I'm not thinking of the right pronounciation, I definitely say it incorrectly. I suppose we each have our idiosyncrasies. Mine do amuse me.

Tiffany Brush is coming out to visit this week! In early September, Esther Heath may be coming for a visit. Huzzah for wonderful friends!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too laughed at Cowboy's pronunciation foibles. Especially when he said, "I'm making vavinger," and the other girl said, "Vinegar?" Raised eyebrows, quizzical smile. Classic.

Anonymous said...

I came across your post while researching the matter myself. Apparently lots of people have the same question about which is correct. From what I can figure out from online research, "reprize" is most typical in the legal sense of the word and "repreese" is correct for the other meanings. So I guess you are right.