August 20, 2004

They seek him here, they seek him there . . .

YEAH!!!!!!!!! Tomorrow is my one and only true "vacation" of the summer! I got the day off at work, and my mom and I are heading down to Sacramento for the day. Why? Why to seek for the Scarlet Pimpernel, of course! The musical is playing at Music Circus of Sacramento, and we've had tickets since the beginning of the summer. I love Frank Wildhorn's music, yet have never seen any of his shows. This will be my first. :)

Teacher orientation begins on Monday. It looks like Mrs. Merritt (one of our kindergarten teachers) , Mr. Squires (5th grade) and I are the only full-time teaching alumni to return. Wow! I'm excited, though. Mr. Libby's daughter, Ann, will be with us. Let me just say how much fun that girl is! Kristen always says that I remind her of Ann (this being before I met the girl). She is funny, loves musicals, the Rat Pack, reading (majored in Theatre, minored in English, just the opposite of me!), music, and is a redhead! It'll be a blast to teach with her in the upper grades as well!

I'm sad to state that I will not be able to attend any of the Tahoe Shakespeare's productions of Much Ado About Nothing, or As You Like It! Living life on so little money does not allow me to do many of the things I love and long to do. However, I'm budgeting my money so as to make grad school more of a reality in the near future. I think the sacrifice will be worth it.

Oh, and "Go USA!" I love the Olympics! They're so dramatic and entertaining. I've been enthralled, as usual, with the whole ordeal. In Carousel, I have a little girl named Amanda who plays my daughter in the beginning, during "The Carousel Waltz." While we've been rehearsing, she mentioned to me that she had a friend who is in the show, but on vacation. Amanda said "Lynette, when she gets back from Greece, can she be my sister?" I replied, "As long as she tells me all about the Olympics, yes." I believe that Amanda thought I was joking. I remember how much fun I had going to the SLC Olympics during my senior year, and truly wish I had the money to spend in order to go to these. I mean, I got to see the very drunk/happy Hockey team singing "Oh Canada!" after a win, eat at the same time and Wendy's as the German Hockey team, meet Todd Eldredge, stand and cheer with at least 150 other Americans watching one of our teams win a gold, and so much more. It was incredible!

Anyway, I'll let you all know what I think of (to quote more of the song) "That demned, illusive, Pimpernel!" after I've seen it.

No comments: