February 14, 2005

If Mama Were Married

So, I made it back to Nevada, safe and sound. The whole trip took about 40 hours. In that time, I drove to L.A., went to the wedding, played with my nieces and cousins, went to Downtown Disney, drove back from L.A., and became exceedingly tired. Boy am I glad I took a personal day today!

The wedding was great. It was on a boat, and I'd say that there were probably 50-60 guests. Very few friends, and tons of family. It was lovely. I got to sit down and have real talks with the Beardslees who were there, Rachel, Charlie, and particularly Aimee (I think we talked for a good 45 minutes with no interruption. With the Beardslee cousins, this is a miraculous feat!). I was able to spend time with Halley. Unfortunately, Kelsey was very sick and couldn't come. :( I spent time with the little Smiths; Bradley, Katie, and Zach. I even got Bradley to dance! He is such a cute 16 year old! Leigha and I danced a lot. Her favorite dances were at the particular request of my aunt Denise: the Hokey Pokey, and the Chicken Dance! I love my aunt Denise!

We went to Downtown Disney, because I wanted to get Kristen's gift for our third annual "Anti-Valentine's Date." Since I have rehearsal tonight, I couldn't do it this evening, so we're doing it this afternoon. Yeah! My parents took Leigha, Jess, Jason, and Brianna to Disneyland. We'd had two cars, Janina's and my parents. Yesterday when Jason, Leigha, Nina and myself went to D.D., the others had to go to the grocery store for food for Bri. Leigha was going nuts, because she was smart enough to figure out the "Big Surprise" (Disneyland) before we even left the hotel. She wanted to go inside, and ride Peter Pan, and meet all the characters asap. Since we had to wait for the rest of the group before she could (and before Nina and I could leave for NV, since we had to exchange some stuff), she was very antsy. I played with her, and all she wanted to do was to dance the Hokey Pokey again. But, the kid wouldn't do it, unless I did it with her!!! So, in the middle of Downtown Disney, Leigha and I sang and danced the Hokey Pokey. Certainly not something I'd pictured doing there.

Janina got her license last summer, and didn't feel up to the challenge of driving. So, I drove all the way to L.A., all the way back, and then to her dorm at UNR. I was sooooooooooooo tired, but I figured if I drove her to UNR, I wouldn't fall asleep. If I'd fallen asleep, the trip back would have been worse. As it was, I had a very hard time keeping awake and alert for much of the trip. Friday, after rehearsal, I'd gone out with Chris, Andy, and Amy. I got to Dayton (spending the night at my parents') very late, and couldn't sleep for about an hour until I got up and added another blanket. So, I got about 3-3 1/2 hours of sleep prior to driving to Southern CA. Not ideal, in the least! I crashed on Saturday night, and as soon as I got back to my parents house last night, I did the same. I feel much better now!

So, there was my little mini-break in a nutshell. Sound fun, no? The title of the post comes from a song with the same title (I like to do that, I've noticed) from Gypsy. Fun show, even if it is about stripteasers. I like it, anyway. Plus, there is some absolutely classic music in it. Good times. I chose the title to honor aunt Denise and my brand-spanking-new uncle Dan! Congratulations, you two. I wish you nothing but the best. Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!

No comments: