February 11, 2005

My bags are packed, I'm first in line!

Who knew it would really happen? I don't think I could ever fully believe that this happens to a human being. However, it has and I simply must accept this fact: I am a lean, mean, grading, mass producing study guide and literature test machine. Part human, part machine. Sigh. Haven't they been saying for years that all jobs will be taken care of by machines and computers? I don't know if I'd ever fully believed it until now.

I've also started to teach The Great Gatsby and Pride and Prejudice to some of my high school classes. Next week, I'm starting To Kill a Mockingbird with the other high school class. Yeah for great literature!!!!!!!!! Oh! My 11th/12th grade class has grown by one more; a BOY! Poor, poor token male (as we used to tease some of our fellow male English majors). Rumor has it that we'll get another guy next week! If this is the case, that class will have grown from 5 to 9 students in a matter of 4 weeks; literally one each week!!!! Crazy.

Today is a monumental day in my life, and I woke up assuming that it would be merely a busy day. I had to do high school grades, middle school grades, leave sub notes for Monday, create a packet for the 8th graders, get yearbook flyers out, etc., etc., etc. Yesterday, some of the 8th grade boys actually had the audacity to ask me to take over as their basketball coach (we're in the midst of a transition in that department). Shamelessly, I laughed at such an absurd request. On top of everything else I have going on, ME? COACH BASKETBALL? Yeah, cause that would be a way to improve the team somehow!

Anyway, back to the reason I will remember February 11, 2005. I had to return a DVD today, since I'm leaving early tomorrow for L.A. I headed to Hollywood Video, before realizing that the DVD was at home. Curses! I changed direction, and went a way I normally don't to get home. I still had to pack and take care of things at home prior to rehearsal. The video rental place is close to school, which is at south end of town. I live about the middle of town. Rehearsals are still at WNCC, at the north end! Now I have to go south, turn around, drive past my street to go to rehearsal. Sigh. Anyway, I was figuring out times and such while driving down Saliman. I GOT PULLED OVER!!!!!!! I have never gotten a real ticket in my life. The last time I was pulled over was in Rocky Ford, CO, summer 1998! And (though it was in front of a liquor store, and everyone I knew in Rocky Ford, Swink, and La Junta drove by and recognized me) that was only for a tail light being out. I was legitimately pulled over today. I thought I was in a 35, not really paying attention. I was doing 42 in a 25 mph. Oops. The cop was nice and knocked it off 5 miles, though. I had to search for the proof of insurance--which expires TODAY!!!!!!!! Needless to say, I was none too thrilled with myself. At least I didn't cry or anything.

So, I'm about to head off for my DVD rental detour to WNCC now. Sigh. To be 9 days away from 25 and receive one's first ticket. I suppose it probably had to happen at some point in life.

The title comes from my favorite song in Thoroughly Modern Millie, "Gimme Gimme." It's awesome for belting, power, etc. The quintessential 11 o'clock number, as they say in musical theatre. My bags are packed, for my trip. I'm excited, even though it will be insanely brief. Good times to be had.

1 comment:

Devon said...

I feel your pain. I got my first ticket last year. We need to find one of those people who always talks their way out of tickts and take lessons.