February 05, 2005

Waitin' for her Dearie

This post is dedicated and about my wonderful Aunt Denise. I have adored her ever since I can remember. If I can ever be half the person she is--even a quarter--my life will be lived to a satisfying degree. She is one the most amazing women God ever created. She's hysterical. She is kind. She is energetic. She makes everyone around her feel like the most important person in the room. She is beautiful; inside and out.

She is getting married next weekend, and I couldn't be more thrilled for her. Dan is such a wonderful person, and he fits into our family without even trying. Considering how quirky the Smith side is, that really says something about him!

This will be her third marriage. I reallyreallyreally want this one to work out, because if anyone deserves to be happy in a marriage, it is her. Her first husband walked out on the marriage after almost 15 years, and 5 children (6, if you count the miscarriage). He hadn't ever told her, but he was gay. This happened when I was in jr. high. I don't know if all of my cousins have actually recovered from this incident in their life. The second marriage was sort of a whirlwind romance, and they got married very quickly. He turned out to not have been completely truthful, either, and ended up being abusive.

Aunt Denise is the most gracious and loving person I think I have ever known. I want the best for her. The fact that my cousin Aimee has come around and not only met Dan, but likes him is really saying something. My cousins are very protective of their mother, and with good reason.

So, next week, I'm off to L.A. for less than 48 hours to attend the said wedding. I really want Aunt Denise to find true happiness and satisfaction. Now that all her children are grown, in particular. Will and Beau are twins, and the youngest of the Beardslee clan. Both of them are serving in the Armed Forces now. Rachel is on her own. Charlie is on his own. Aimee is graduating from Seattle Pacific this spring. I want them to know their mom is okay. I want my wonderful aunt to have a companion forever, because I know how social she is. She literally thrives on being surrounded by people and chaos (you can't choose to have five children otherwise, you just can't!).

This title comes from the song "Waitin' for My Dearie" from Brigadoon. Sappy song? Absolutely! Gotta love anything before the 1970s in musical theatre!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet post! Have a wonderful time at the wedding (or was it this past weekend?). Either way, hope it will be/was grand to have travelled away for a bit!

--Steph