September 17, 2005

I'm dancing and I can't be bothered now!

Well, the honeymoon period at OHS is over. I kind of relieved, though. I knew I was going to have to start seeing true colors very soon, and I figured they'd all come at once. Well, it wasn't quite that bad, but there were tons this week. I was told to "F--- off!" several times (Yeah, prove to me you can say that while you're on the way to the principal. That just adds more writing for me on your referral and more punishment for you. Brilliant!). I had a kid throw papers at me. I had a kid get upset with all three of us, because he doesn't feel like he'll be prepared to go back to the high school. Well, the thing is, you actually have to pass your classes before you can! Good luck at going back there, buddy. We had kids quit a lot during the middle of assignments or activities. Sigh. It's been a long week.

Next week will be longer, though. We're having tech and dress rehearsals for Crazy for You all week long. And the best part about that is the fact that we'll be having the orchestra there on Wednesday night, Thursday night, and all of our performances. We've only practiced with them once, and of course it was sloppy. The live orchestra actually does sound different from the CDs we practice with normally. This time, it had more of a ragtime feel than the CD. Just ducky.

And I'm still the very remedial dancer in most numbers. I've tried working with Jen Haddix at various CFY and Fiddler rehearsals. We can never spare enough time, though. I hate being so unprepared. Seriously. I told Gina a couple of weeks ago that I was sorry that I am the weak link in the show, but I intended to work hard to be the strongest weak link possible. She and Lynn laughed at me. How silly to not take me seriously. So, next week I will not allow myself to breathe between breaks. I will be "dancing" my tail off so I'm not the one who is the obvious bad part of the number.

The title comes from the song, "I Can't be Bothered Now." It is used in Crazy for You. I actually have a recording with Fred Astaire singing it, which is fun.

No comments: