March 03, 2006

Gotta Dance!

So . . . I've been fighting a losing battle for the duration of this week, and gave in yesterday in the late morning. I am sick. It sucks to feel so bad and have a burning throat, achy head, incessant exhaustion, etc. I'm home today jiggity-jig. I feel bad because Kirsten is gone today, so Dave is the only "normal" teacher at OHS. Not a day I envy. I left yesterday so I would hopefully be well enough today to work and not leave the school in a lurch. I felt so bad, however, I called in sick. Apparently the district wasn't able to get subs for Kirsten OR me! Talk about guilt! (Bear with me, blogger isn't letting me separate paragraphs). *I decided to go to rehearsal last night anyway because I love rehearsing (though I didn't feel very up to it), and because we were learning something new; the dance for "Shaking at the High School Hop." Dance not being my forte was the reason I chose to go. I loved it! I get to do a lot of lifts in the dance--flying in the air is so gratifying! [Admittedly, this is part of the reason I want to play Elphaba; though the music and meaty role is also very enticing] I also get to BE a lifter! There is this move where the guys hook arms with the girls, the guys bend over and kind of roll the girls over their backs. Well, I dance with Adam (aka, "Doody") who is not supposed to be a dancer. Our dance looks ridiculous compared to everyone else. He'll just stand there while I move around. So, I get to "be the man" and Adam gets to be lifted. I feel so buff! *Anyway, last night I was leaving Gina's sauna, er, dance studio, and Stephanie was walking by me. She said, "So Lynette, it looks like you're becoming a dancer. I'm witnessing it happening!" Yay!!!!!!!!! I've always loved dance and adored it when I was taking lessons as a kid. The year I was five, I was so engrossed with the Mikhail Baryshnikov version of The Nutcracker, that I was barely able to be torn away from the television to help decorate the Christmas Tree. I remember being mesmerized by the grace and beauty. I was truly obsessed. Maybe I ended my chances along this line by dropping dance. I missed my calling! :( *The title of this post comes from the classic movie musical, Singin' in the Rain.

No comments: