January 24, 2007

Life goes on

So it's been a rough week emotionally and physically (and a certain time of the month hitting VERY hard has not been fun). I ended up getting a chorus part in Charlie Brown and one of the boarding house girls in Millie. It's time, I have felt bad about having three big parts in a row. I've been on the other side of that before, and I know that it's no fun. I did drop because there's a class through the district that I've been wanting to take (plus it pays a stipend and can count as graduate credit or a recertification credit) on the same days as two of the matinees. Tough call. :) I'm not thrilled with how they cast the shows for the most part, but hey, they have to live with what they cast. I just have to do my best tapping and singing and no stressing! Oh, and had I stayed in CB, I've since learned they would have used me as the little redheaded girl (which I would disapprove of, because you never see her in the comics). Good save Lynette!

In 3 1/2 yrs. of teaching, I've never had a fight in class. Until Monday. Two boys from opposing gangs (huge, too, I might add) broke into it out of nowhere that I could tell. One of the kids, W. (I'll call him), was there for his first day. The other, J., was about 45 minutes late (typical for him). J. was there for about 5 minutes before I released them for an assignment. I said they could work where they wanted. They were across the room from each other. W. got up and started walking to J. and I could tell they should NEVERNEVERNEVERNEVER be near each other. There was some major shoving, me yelling for teacher backup, calling of the office, etc. The two were arrested, I had to fill out a police report AND a citizen's arrest (first time for both), and they've both been suspended for 90 days. And I am now the sad teacher with a file cabinet drawer she cannot open because J. hit his head on it pretty hard as he fell to the ground. Not fun. Hopefully I won't have anything like that again.

But we get about 7 kids from the biggest fight CHS has seen in years on Monday. Oi vey!!!

So, instilling a "standardized attire" as we are attempting to do in March may not be as dreadful as the kids seem to think. At least I'd be seeing less MLC's, Lima St., Res Boys, Tokers, etc. flying their colors and could concentrate more on teaching than policing for dress code.

The title of today's post comes from the song "Snoopy" from You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown.

No comments: