December 06, 2004

Haul out the holly!

Yes, outside of my frequent tuning in to the Christmas radio stations, and my own vast collection of Christmas CDs (The area I think I splurge the most at Christmas. I've been good so far, and haven't even looked at any!), I can tell Christmas is coming. I not only welcome it, I embrace the Christmas season!!!!

Several "Christmassy" things are happening, or have happened lately.
1) I got my first Christmas card of the year, albeit from Maurice's (with a $5 card!).
2) I've received my first Christmas newsletter, thank you Carly Powne!
3) My 11th and 12th graders have gone Christmas crazy when it comes to decorating my classroom. Snowflakes, Christmas chains, a Christmas elf on my door (which is ugly enough to give small children nightmares for weeks), a Christmas tree, etc. I don't mind, provided it's done on their own time, and not mine.
4) I'm teaching A Christmas Carol to my 7th graders, for the second year in a row. Ooh I love Dickens and how deliciously creepy this story can be! Fun for Christmas.
5) I got my ticket today for the staff Christmas party next Tuesday night. Yee-haw. Actually, I did have fun last year. This year, I won't be playing Mary in the staff Christmas presentation for the teachers! Last year, we did a funny skit. I had to wear a basketball under a tunic. I came out with the doll as Jesus, and realized that "Mary" was still "pregnant." OOPS! I hit the top of the ball, and as it dropped out of my costume, I kicked it back to the "Innkeeper." A tad embarrassing, andI'm still hearing about it! This year, we're singing "Christmastime Is No Time to Diet." Phew! Hopefully we'll win the trophy this year, though Pastor Dave told me that the pastors are strong contenders this year.
6) Finally (and this is the greatest part), I received my first Christmas Present today. One of my lovely 7th grade girls gave me an Anthology of Jane Austen's work! :) Granted, I despise anthologies, but it certainly was sweet of her to do. It is lovely to look at. I'm glad that I own all of her novels in single editions! Anyway, it was unwrapped, so I feel no shame in having it now! Last year I got a lot of candles, tea, and such from my students; certainly not amazing books.

This title comes from the show Mame, did you know that? It's from the song called "We Need a Little Christmas." Now, though it is very true that we need a little Christmas, I refused to let two of my 8th grade girls hang mistletoe over my doorway on Friday. We need a little Christmas, but not that much!

No comments: