December 17, 2004

It's a Jolly Holiday!

Okay, I know that since I'm in school at the moment, perhaps I shouldn't be blogging. However, it is the end of the day. The 7th graders are watching the end of A Muppet's Christmas Carol. After all, if 12 year olds are going to read Dickens, they deserve to watch a fun version of the story (particularly on the last day of school). I have exactly 45 minutes and 30 seconds before school is out; I've been ready for this all week, and the end of last week! I need a vacation!!!!!!!!

Okay, so, one more trip to a theatre, and I think I'm done for the year (though if something else comes up, I'm almost certain I'd be game). Tonight Jeanne and I are coming to this church where we teach (but neither of us attend) to see their production of "The Christmas Shoes." My church did it last year, and I played one of the leads. I'm eager to see how different it's going to be, and if I can still say all of my lines.

So, this vacation will be awesome--at least it'd better be! I have very little grading (about 7 research papers, 4 8th grade projects, and about 30 little homework assignments), so I'll get that out of the way asap. If I'm done, I can come in sometime this weekend to plan out the rest of the quarter, and then I can truly relax. I have plans to see Phantom of the Opera with musical theatre friends. Janina and I are driving together to San Diego after our parents are, to spend Christmas with the Browns, and then some of the holiday with Aunt Denise and the Beardslee clan. I'm sad that Will won't be there, but Beau (who has just completed boot camp) will be there--woo-hoo! Plus, I'll get to see the famous Rachel, but I promise to not name my car after her or anything . . . After that, I've got nothing but time to read, lounge, play in the snow (if I don't get too cold), spend time with family and friends, etc. I don't remember the last time I was this excited about Christmas break!

So I'm overloaded with goodies and Christmas gifts from well-meaning staff members and students. Oh my gosh!!!!!! I've got gift cards to Starbucks, Jamba Juice, candles, books, journals, Christmas trinkets of all types, magnets, ornaments, etc. Lots of chocolate and sweets are also included, like I need to gain any more weight! I don't know if this happens to anyone else, but when I get around a lot of sweets like this, just looking at them makes me feel ill and rarely seems at all appealing.

In Bible, I had fun. I read them background stories of Christmas Carols, and then we sang them. Now I know all NNU folk will say, "Oh Lynette, just stop the singing already!" It's not me, I promise! I ask them frequently to stop singing during class--both the 7th and 8th grades! I then took them caroling to the three other classrooms in this building. All in all, a fun period.

So, the movie has ended, and I need to get back to teaching. Clearly the title comes from the song in Mary Poppins. Enjoy your weekend!

No comments: