December 03, 2004

Once upon a time . . .

Hello to all the faithful followers of the dry and ordinary accounts of Lynette Brown!

What is it about life that keeps us so interested? What compels me to write down my life or thoughts? What leads others to read about it? Why do I read others? Seriously, I know I don't stand out if it came to a lineup of fascinating people of the world. I don't think I'd be at the completely boring end of the line, either. It's interesting. I tend to regularly follow the lives of about five others through blogs: my two sisters, my cousin, a good friend, and a friend of hers whom I have never met. Occasionally, I'll just decide, "Hey! I should read other people's blogs, too!" So, I'll go exploring. You know something? I haven't found one that I find boring.

I analyzed this a couple of years ago, in college actually. I knew I was headed into teaching. What led me to teaching, I'm not certain. I love English. I love people. For some reason, I figured that this would be a perfect blend for a job. Sometimes it is; sometimes it isn't. Anyway, back to my point (Aha! The Concrete-Sequential side will come out and say, "Enough of you, Abstract-Random!"), my analyzing. I believed that English could be something which every person loved, but I had to figure out why. I think I hit it then, so I'll share it with you now.

Stories. People love stories. When we get together with friends, we share stories. When children play, there is a story in it somehow. Every movie is a story. Every journey, discovery, science experiment, etc. includes a story. Everything in life revolves around stories. How powerful! So, I came to the conclusion that each person can at least like English sometimes, because this story factor is such an influential part of an English class. How incredibly amazing!

So, go out! Share a story with someone. Create a story with someone. Learn another's story. Revel in the fact that stories literally surround us all.

The title of this story revelation is from Into the Woods. This is the first bit in the initial song, "Into the Woods."

No comments: