December 13, 2004

A little bit of this, a little bit of that

To all the nonbelievers, I need to say one thing: the Reno/Sparks, Carson City area is not completely devoid of local talent!!!!!! YEAH!! Having one's faith restored in the good of local theatre is indeed a wonderful thing. Oh, side note: the group doing Cinderella had two casts. The third graders saw it today, and Anita Swearingen told me that it was pretty good. We must have seen the "B" cast.

Ruthless was quite good. I felt that the timing, energy, and most of the performances were well done. I laughed all the way through Act I. Act II seemed to lose its structure and go everywhere, so I didn't like it as well. However, it too was hilarious. The plot was an interesting blend of All About Eve, The Bad Seed, and Gypsy. Yesiree, it was strange. Tons o'puns. It was very bizarre, but Karen Chandler's (the director of the theatre department at Carson High School) song titled "I Hate Musicals" and sung like Ethel Merman was very funny. I'd never been to a production at the Bruka Theatre before; odd theatre. It was very warm, and all the seats were couches! Kinda cool!

I got to meet more "Theatre folk" of the area. Chris and I rode up with Dave Anderson (who was our Jigger in Carousel) and his family. They're nice. I'd never really gotten a chance to talk to Dave's wife (whose name escapes me at the moment), so that was fun. I also got to meet the infamous Jeff Whitt (Who did openly gawk at women, much to my amusement--I've never seen anybody quite that obvious about it before! Normally this might offend me, but seeing how silly he looked, it proved to be funny.), and a couple, Rick and Kelly, whose last name I never did learn. All interesting people and it made for a fun night.

Tonight is our Christmas party at work, and boy do I really not feel like going. I acquired a cold over the weekend, and wasn't able to sleep last night for a lack of breathing. We'll see how I feel in about an hour and a half, and then I'll determine whether or not I'll be attending. Teaching was kind of wasted on me today. I can't wait for Christmas break!!! I want to rid myself of this cold, and have plenty of recooperation before auditions for The Fantasticks and Beauty and the Beast in January. I think I'm going to try for both, though the odds of my getting into The Fantasticks are far more slim than BATB since there are only 8 characters. Plus, it's going to be done at the college in a lecture hall/theatre (Which is nothing like the Science Lecture Hall at NNU. This one only holds about 100-150 people!), which will not be as fun as the Community Center. We shall see.

Ooh! My cousin Kelsey sent me a letter and a picture which I received today. Thanks, Kels! I love and miss you too! She and her sister Halley live in an apartment in Anaheim together, and they both work at Disneyland. The cool thing is that they can get me in for free! I'm pondering going down around my birthday, to make 25 less scary for me. Perhaps, if they're willing, I could bring some friends as well . . . Anyway, it was nice to get this. I adore most of my Smith/Beardslee cousins. We're far more close than any cousins have a right to be. Grandma and Grandpa taught their kids that family should always come first, and this carried over into our generation. We got together at least three times a year, every year, until my family moved to Colorado; and this was the whole clan of Smiths, Browns, and Beardslees; not even the random trips to see just one set of cousins or the grandparents.

I have a sad confession to make now. On the Brown side, I'm the oldest. On the Smith side, I'm the third oldest; Shane is three years older than me, and Rachel is 9 months older than me. When growing up, I looked to Rachel as a big sister, which has affected some embarrassing areas of my life to this day. I cried when I learned I would never wear curlers, because Rachel did. I named my first pet, a hamster in Kindergarten, Rachel. We soon learned that Rachel the hamster was a boy, yet I refused to change his name. Finally (and this is the silliest thing), the hair ties. Backing up, I must explain that as a very young child, my hair was slow to grow. I couldn't wear a barrett until I was 2! About the time I hit 3 1/2, it exploded into what it is now. So, when I could finally wear those hair rubber bands, I started calling them "Rachels" since Rachel wore them. I still call them Rachels. My mom now calls them Rachels. Jessica and Janina call them Rachels. My niece Leigha calls them Rachels. I was clearly an obsessed child!!! We were best friends until about Junior High, when some big events took place in both of our lives. We're still good friends, but do not have the tight bond we once had, sadly.

Today's lyrics start off the song "Anatevka" in Fiddler on the Roof. Good show! I loved doing it Freshmen year at NNU. WNMTC is doing it in November. Yeah!

No comments: