July 18, 2005

Who can tell what's waiting on the journey?

I'm sure all of you readers out there have no fingernails left. The anticipation of the next installment of the high-drama life I lead has kept you nibbling those nails, huh? And, as I have waited 1 1/2 weeks to provide the next segment, you've all started on your toenails. Deep apologies, I am a slacker and I know it.

Well, I had a call from CHS prior to actually writing that last post, but since I was at Jacque and Laurie's, I didn't know for a bit. I went home soon after writing that, so I could grab some warmer clothes. Admittedly, I was really going home to check my messages. There was a call from the head of the English department at CHS requesting I call her at home. Immediately, I called. No answer, so I left a message. I waited all night for her to call, and she never did. I went back to the reunion for a couple of hours, and then I went home again. No message. I called back. On the 4th agonizing ring, there was an answer.

She told me that there were several of us who interviewed. I guess they were impressed with me, and the decision boiled down to two of us. They went with the other girl; she'd done her student teaching at CHS. However, she said that Pioneer High School (the "last chance high school") was looking for an English teacher and she had told the principal about me!!!! I talked to the principal at this high school, and it looks like I might be interviewing later this week for that position.

I've called Pau-Wa-Lu. I've e-mailed. No answer. Tomorrow I'm calling the school district to see what's going on. Perhaps people are on vacation???

I had a photo shoot for Carson Magazine on Friday!!!! No, no autographs. You must write to my agent if you'd even want a shot at one. I understand that sending $20 to him is helpful in this request . . . :) They wanted to do some publicity for Fiddler. Stephanie called me to include me in this "elite" group. The three of us who will appear are Jim (Tevye), Stephanie (director/Golde), and myself. We were to meet at 7:20 in full makeup. I've been fitted for all my costumes for the show. They settled on one for the photo, which needed the hem let down. I assumed it would be brought, so I chose to not bring another costume with me. Yes, even Lynette Brown can do dolt-like things on occasion. We caravanned to the setting of out photo. Luckily, it was about a minute from my house. I flew home, threw the costume on over my clothes, crammed my feet into the boots without tying them, and searched for a kerchief like thing for my hair. Grabbing a sheer white scarf with black trim, I zoomed back to the place. I managed to tie the scarf in my hair at the red light, and tied my shoes there. We took several pictures with the three of us. Then we took several individuals whilst singing songs from the show. I did a bit from "Matchmaker." Tomorrow afternoon, I have my second rehearsal for the show--with an acting coach! Gary Aldrich, whose fame in the area is as a vocal coach, apparently will be giving Jim, Stephanie and myself tips for the scene we already blocked. Stephanie wants to do this because as the director as well, she cannot watch her scenes. I feel so . . . special? Whatever. I'm not paying for it, so I have no complaints. Just the drive in my hotter than Hades vehicle (My car was a college graduation gift from my folks. As nice as that was, I've no air conditioning. My apartment hasn't any, either. I HATE the summer heat!!!!!!! I step outside in 106 degree weather saying, "AAAH! So cool!").

So, I was thinking (HELLO ABSTRACT RANDOM!) about this. My family is very entertaining. We cannot stand to be even remotely normal in any aspect of life. Some families get together and play tennis. Others will camp together. Ours does both, but our latest thing is to go "under the knife" together. Brianna was first. She just turned 1 year old last month, still not crawling, but advancing quickly toward the walking bit. She had heart surgery in April. Grandpa had surgery today to remove a cancerous growth. Kelsey (cousin) is having surgery soon. My cousin Katie had a brain surgery a couple of weeks ago (they kept her awake!), and has to continue going to San Francisco throughout August for about five more brain surgery procedures (it's something they've been dealing with since she was about four). My mom is having surgery next week. WHAT IS WRONG WITH US??????????

So the title comes from the song "Into the Woods" from the show of the same title. Since life in general is pretty unpredictable and there are all sorts of surgeries going on in my family right now, I guess this is appropriate. Sigh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a bummer about CHS, but good news about PHS. Hopefully you'll get that one -- although teaching at a "last chance" high school is really exhausting.

Good luck! Keep us posted...my fingernails are nearly gone ;)