October 09, 2004

An English Teacher . . .

We got back from Sacramento last night around 7:30 pm. I have been filled with an excitement and inspiration that I didn't even realize I was lacking at the moment! I love ACSI!!!!!!!! I went to four seminars, each of them interesting (as opposed to two of the ones I went to last year which were dull and dry). I went to: Agatha Christie, Mistress of Mystery, Thematic Units in American Literature, Critical Thinking and the Language Arts, and Literature that Lives in Infamy. Each was brilliant, and I am already revamping some of my plans for this year and all of next year!!!!!!! Our General Session Speakers were all great--the theme this year was Transforming the Culture. Mary Rice Hopkins was great. I had a fantastic time!!!!!!

Hairspray was a lot of fun. I would never say it's my favorite, but it was fun. The script was funny, the music was all fun, and the dancing was brilliant. I thought the girl who was playing Penny (Tracy Turnblad's best friend) was one of the weak links in the show. She was good when she was "on," but she seemed to have a strange mix of "off" and "on" moments. She played the really dumb stuff well, like: (Tracy) "We'll protest! We should make signs!" (Penny) "YES! WITH WORDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!" However, I just didn't feel like she completely captured the character.

This has been a very strange week for me. Ever since the first real week of August, I've had some rehearsal, and seen some of the same people. Not this week! They had the rehearsal on Thursday, so I could not be there. I miss everyone! I've talked to Stephanie and Hana this week, but it's not quite the same. I'm excited for Monday, because we have rehearsal, and because I should be getting my costume. I hope I get as lucky as I did with Mattress. However, I have my doubts. Costumes of any sort are fun, though, so it should be okay. Maybe I'll get my blocking for Arminy! Did I mention I've now got a part? Yeah, I sing about how lousy marriage is, and then Julie comes up and sings about how great it is. So, I've apparently been married a year, but have had no husband in the show yet. And, he can't be away for long, just because of the nature of what I sing about him. Maybe if we can find more breathing men who wouldn't mind doing the show . . .

Oh. I also want to mention the book I've been reading. I picked it up on Thursday at the exhibit hall. It attracted my attention because of it's title, First Impressions. Now, I adore Jane Austen, and happen to know that this was supposed to be the title for my favorite of her works, Pride and Prejudice. It claimed to be part of something called The Jane Austen Series. Right beside it, I found a book called Reason and Romance, also part of The Jane Austen Series. They are supposed to be modern versions of her books, apparently. Reason and Romance is supposed to be a modernization of Sense and Sensibility.

So, being very excited with anything to do with P&P, I read First Impressions first. Oh my! I now remember why I purposely choose not to read most Christian books. It was so awful! I died--it's like watching the Greer Garson, Laurence Olivier version of P&P, where they costumed to movie to look like it took place in the 1860s! The author clearly has some issues. The book takes place in London, Texas. Yes, and on at least three separate occasions that I can think of (by different characters, too!) a person said something to the extent of, "Would that things would not be so awful." In TEXAS!!!!!!!!!!! Every character, at least once said "Oh my word," or "Oh my goodness." Oh, and another great passage was, "Dave stood on the precipice of indecision." She must have used the word myriad about 250 times. Now, I love using "bigger" words when they fit, but this was hysterical. It was like Debra White Smith (the author) was trying to prove that she was a good writer by using the bigger words. It reminded me of Prof. Dennis warning each of us in Principles of Writing that we should only use a big word when it would help the paper be more concise--using the one word instead of four that would say the same thing. If you want to laugh, please read this book, for it is silly and awkward. I know people who only choose to read something if it is a Christian book, but I feel sorry for them. It is hard to find a Christian author who writes well, so I don't even bother with most. Granted, I adore C.S. Lewis, but the man knew how to write well. Even non-Christians like his work. I'll get off my soapbox now and allow you to make your own decisions.

The title comes from a song by the same title in Bye Bye Birdie. It seemed to encompass almost everything I wanted to write about.

1 comment:

Devon said...

Lynette, you absolutely MUST rent "Pride and Prejudice: a Latter-Day Comedy," produced by the Mormon church, now available at your local Hollywood Video. Kandice, Tammy, and I went to see it when it was in the theater and we almost cried with laughter (and disappointment). It's a strange mix between lambasting Mormon stereotypes (like polygamy) and promoting the Mormon church. Mix in some wretched acting, garish colors, and a plot loosely (very loosely) based on the real P&P, and you have a night of fun for you and your dearest Austen lovers. Trust me--rent it!