October 04, 2004

The vittles we et were good, you bet! The company was the same.

I'm switching gears now, as you can tell by the title. Mattress is over, sadly. I won't really miss the music. I will, however, miss our comaraderie. Oh, and the funny things that are bound to happen in a show, too! The funniest thing this weekend (as far as I was concerned) was how Alyss got her lipstick for our Sunday show. We had to go onstage during the brief blackout between the ballet and the opening scene. She got onstage, realized she had no lipstick on, grabbed Taylor (another girl), kissed her so she'd get the lipstick residue before the lights came on! I died with hysterics!

This weekend was consumed by friends, family, food, and fun performances. Did I grade? No, I was with my grandparents from both sides, sister, brother-in-law, and two nieces! Did I lesson plan? No, I was at the theatre! Did I create my grammar tests? No, I was out with the cast at either Red's, Bully's or Applebees! Did I accomplish anything outside of my playing? No--are you mad? Of course not!

I have to say, I wish that Carson City (outside of Denny's) could offer a place to eat and hang out that wasn't a bar late at night. I hate smoke. I hate when there is music so loud that I can feel the vibrations! Bully's usually isn't too bad, but when they have a live band--ick! Dawn and I kept trying to hold one sentence conversations between songs, but we couldn't spit them out fast enough. Marcus made fun of me when I complained about the lousy music (and it truly was), yet he agreed with me that volume does not good music make.

On Saturday, Stephanie spent the night since she didn't want to go back to Tahoe immediately after the show, and Bob didn't want to go out afterwards (and he was her ride). Marcus, Stephanie, Chris, Tracy (whom I met that evening), and I decided to go on a walk at 1 am. Brilliant, I know. It was fun and somewhat an adventure. We walked part way through a field and saw some other people. Marcus was leading the way, "I think there's a road! We need to go in the direction they just came from!" Yeah, it wasn't working. We turned around in five minutes, and the people had disappeared. Tracy's shoe had broken, Stephanie hadn't brought a sweatshirt; we were one happy company! I was slightly amused by it, but realized I wouldn't have been very pleased in the same circumstances, so I really didn't say anything.

Oh, so in Carousel, people have started to call Stephanie, Hana and I the Mattress clique! :) I think it's funny. We are so desperate for men in the show, we are literally asking: "Are you a male? Do you want to be in Carousel?" Chris may do it (and better!) as well as his friend Warren (who'd better!). I promised them that they could be in the clique (after reaching a mutual decision from the other two clique members) if they joined. With such a lucrative offer, how could they refuse?

I'm sad that I have to miss rehearsal on Thursday. I want to know if they'll be there! Jennifer Hoffman (from Mattress) is supposed to stop by and inform us of the sex of her child (to be born in March). Since I'll be in Sacramento for the ACSI conference with school, I'll miss both events! :( Jenn promised to call me and let me know, right after she calls her mom! How exciting! I am eager for the conference, since it was awesome last year. I'll be rooming with Jeanne and Mindy (History and Kindergarten), so it should be fun!

Oh, and Jeanne and I have tickets to see the Thursday Matinee of Hairspray!!!!!!!!! We'll only be about three blocks away, so I'm completely stoked! :) Stephanie and Bob are seeing it on Tuesday. I missed seeing the tour of The Producers in Reno last week. Grr. Many people in Mattress saw it and taunted me with the songs throughout the week. It would have been fun to see. If you're in the mood for theatre, Carson is really the hopping place to be right now. Arsenic and Old Lace just closed. Mattress just closed. Julius Caesar is going. Clue the musical is opening next week. The Sound of Music is opening next week. Carousel will be opening in a month. The Matchmaker is coming up. Noises Off is coming up. Chris is wanting to direct Hamlet, but I think that would be in the spring or summer. WNMTC, the company I'm with now, is doing either Little Shop of Horrors or The Fantastiks in March. Devon, I know you'll be jealous, but their doing Disney's Beauty and the Beast in May! So many shows, so little time . . .

The title comes from "Real Nice Clambake" from Carousel. It seemed to describe what I did with my "free time" this weekend. :) Ciao!

2 comments:

Lynette said...

Hey Nina!

That's awesome about Hairspray! How awesome! When are you getting into Sacramento? I'll be there until about 3 or so on Friday for ACSI. Guess who the musical entertainment is? Mary Rice Hopkins! Goofy, huh? Sorry about Arsenic. I really wanted to see it, too, but had no time the one weekend I could. Chris' friend Warren was the creepy brother in it. Leigha met him and wouldn't even say hi to him, because she was scared of him! LEIGHA!!!!!!!!!! He does have a somewhat intimidating look about him (I met him last Friday, and Dawn said "Is HE an actor?"), but very nice and funny. I'm in the theatre circle of Carson City now!!!!!!!!!!!

Devon said...

Actually I'm jealous of ALL the shows that you get to see and be in. I was thinking just the other day how much fun it would be to be in a show right now. However, being at a gigantic university and being a grad student, my chances of that happening are slim to none. Ah well, I always can always look back on the days when Lynette was a loud Russian duchess who made blintzes.