November 19, 2004

Reviewing the Situation

"I think it'd be neat to be a singer like they are in Switchfoot. I mean, they're Christians, but they're considered to be a sexual band. Wait! I mean secular!" ~8th grade girl in my Bible class

If ever a person thought teaching could be boring or not stimulating enough, I beg to differ. Every day, and I do mean every day, I get a good laugh at least once. I get some of the most random questions that have ever been asked, and I am constantly on my toes. I'm glad that, for the most part, I've got a mind that can respond fairly quickly to curveballs. Occasionally I'll strike out, but usually I can hit an answer that will take me all the way to second base. Sometimes I even make it all the way home!

Carousel ends on Sunday. :( I don't think I'll miss it as much as I did Mattress at first, but our cast isn't nearly as close as that one was. There are still some people whose names I don't know. I feel bad about that, because that's never been an issue I've had. However, I've never been in a cast this size, so I suppose that may be a part of the reason. Being a strong member of the Mattress Clique (Of course, with only three "official" members, it's hard not to be. Each of us has a very strong personality!) has not affected this. What feels the worst is the fact that more people seem to know me than I know them. Yes, it is a congested and somewhat incoherent sentence, but I hope it conveys what I'm trying to say.

This week has been getting me excited for the Christmas season. I mostly have listened to Christmas music (my favorite part of all the "normal" traditions). I have watched both White Christmas and Meet Me in St. Louis this week as well. And, as you are all on the edge of your seats, I shall now reveal to the world my favorite Christmas song. I think some people know it, but in case you are unaware of the greatest Christmas song it is "O Holy Night." This song should not be performed by everybody, but I do have my favorites. Naturally, Grandpa Smith--the greatest singer in the world, though not famous by any means. 2nd runners up include both Michael Ball and Josh Groban. Shocker? Probably not.

Footloose was fun, but very cheesy for the most part. I was there with Stephanie, Chris, Merci, my fun sister Janina, and a friend of hers named Nicole (who apparently plays her daughter in The Gondoliers). It was hysterical to see Marcus play a character named Cowboy Bob. I sat between Chris and Stephanie--we laughed all the way through his scene. I didn't follow with tradition and break into my "Footloose" dance as I do with the movie, however. It must be a Kevin Bacon thing. Or the fact that I was in public. Probably the latter.

Fagin sings the song after which this post was named. The song is called "Reviewing the Situation." It is from Oliver! This is the musical I've seen the most--3 times! I'd like to play Nancy someday, for the songs, not because she's willingly in an abusive relationship. I don't know that I could get to the point where I can fully understand this mentality. Granted, "As Long as He Needs Me" is beautiful and explains her side a bit more, I still can't wholeheartedly agree with it. It is disturbing, to say the least!


No comments: