November 07, 2004

With breathless surprise, the curtain will rise, step out with a gesture of the hand!

Opening night has come and gone. The magic night has passed.

The wedding has also ended, though with a fainting best man during the ceremony.

Our opening was okay. I was dragging, and I did nothing worthy of notation, I'm sure. I got through my solos, "Love has found my brother Junior," and "The clock just ticks your life away/there's no relief in sight/it's cooking and scrubbing and sewing all day/and God knows whating all night!" I spit out my two lines, "Hold your horses!" and "Billy!" Seriously, that is all I say and sing. I'm sure I did everything "adequetly," but nothing well. That stinks. Chris said that I sang well, so that was nice of him. Eh, well.

Today's matinee was much better. I wasn't the only one who was lagging yesterday (though our final dress rehearsal on Friday ending at midnight may have seriously contributed to our exhaustion). Today we all were a little more perky and enthused about the show. Today we had every scene have lighting (Last night there was a brief scene that was not lit at all. Chris said that the lights from the orchestra pit were all that gave Leoney and Dawn light). Today, I remembered to put on my wedding ring for my Arminy solo (the second one). Today, in my opinion, was about 100 times better.

As for the wedding, yes, Jeremy fainted onstage during the ceremony. When Pastor Steve asked, "Who gives this woman away?" Crissy's dad answered "His mother and I." Ooh, and the candles that Matt and Crissy used to light the unity candle were gorgeous, until they burned so far down that a wax rose on Crissy's candle burst. Everything else went well. To help calm Crissy down before the ceremony, we all prayed for her, and then sang cheesy showtunes (which was what she wanted to do!). To thine own self be true, I guess.

Oh, and I walked down the aisle with Chris Smithens. I love Chris and Trisha Smithens--they're funny. They've been married fifteen years and have six kids. Trisha told me that when she met Chris, he was weirdly obsessed with "The Little Mermaid." She teased him and me before the ceremony, "Chris! Lynette has red hair and sings! She's wearing green (the colors were forest green, white and red)! She's Ariel!" I thought it was very amusing, and Trisha told me that if she dies before him, she gives me permission to marry Chris, but I had to promise to take good care of her six kids. Trisha is a nut!

The song comes from Maury Yeston's Phantom. Yes, that is the show in high school where I came onstage without buttoning my dress at all. Of course, it buttoned from the stomach on up. Anyway, the song is called "Dressing for the Night." This was not the number where I came on a little too exposed, however.

No comments: