March 13, 2005

Crazy World

And so I sally forth in my journal writing obsession to make yet another entry. I've determined that I have too many journals (at the moment, including this one, I have 5 . . . though each serves a different purpose!). Very strange, I know. But, it's therepeutic, rewarding, and once my writing spurt ends for a bit, I can relax a little. I've been on a writing spree since August, with no end in sight. What I should be doing is writing a book with all this excess writing energy. I'd be willing to bet, though, that if I did, I'd lose all desire to write at all. So, to one of my five journals I'll go.

The Fantasticks was just that--fantastic! I had never seen it before, nor had I heard most of the music from it. But I did enjoy both the plot and music; particularly the Rape song (hysterical!). Good stuff. Bob did a good job with this show. I think that out of the shows I've seen WNMTC do, I tend to like Bob's work more than Stephanie A.'s. At any rate, it was good, and I might go again on Thursday because Stephanie (meaning Dixon) gave me a comp ticket. May as well go for free!

After, I went to dinner with Chris, Bob, Stephanie, and several cast members. Now, those of you who have heard or seen the great loathing which Josh seemed to have for me may be shocked at this: I don't think he does anymore! Huh. He went to dinner with us, and not only looked at me (more than once), but he also included me in conversations, and laughed at my sarcasm when it was appropriate, and was even willing to fill in some background information which I was not privy to before regarding certain conversational topics. I could have fallen off my stool, but I didn't. Go figure. Anyway, I also learned that Bob is writing a musical called Nicholas and Alexandra about the last Czar (or T-zar as Ed Scott's character, Mortimer, said in The Fantasticks!) and his family's downfall. He said, "I have perfect parts in it for Josh, Chris, and Lynette." We'll see if that ever happens. How awesome would it be to be in an original production, though?

So, I had a pampering day for myself. I was going to see Bride and Prejudice today with a couple of friends, but as of last night and this morning, neither of them could go. Being the independant person I am, I went by myself. I went to Reno, to Barnes and Noble first. I like Barnes ever so much more than Borders. Sadly, I didn't use my giftcard, but I did make some wonderful purchases. I am now in the midst of reading The Woman in White, The Eyre Affair which has been recommended to me by many people (and the fact that the "memo" on the first page is from Milon de Flosse certainly added to the credibility of their statement that I would enjoy the book), Tender is the Night, and Brave New World.

I did, in fact, see Bride and Prejudice, but I'm still making up my mind as to what I thought. It was . . . bizarre. Granted, I figured that the Bollywood answer to Austen may be a little strange, but this exceeded my expectations. It was directed by the guy who directed Bend it Like Beckham (Which, I must admit, I thoroughly enjoyed. Absolute cheese, but sometimes you need that!). It was also a MUSICAL!!!! That, I was not expecting at all! And it wasn't even great music, I was laughing at it more than anything (which may have been the idea). But, when the lyrics will say, "I want a man who looks at my eyes and not my rack," I don't know how anyone could respond any differently! I think I did enjoy it. At any rate, I laughed a lot, and enjoyed a look into the Indian culture (which I am becoming more obsessed with). So there you have it. Jane Austen's characters, set in 2005, India, with Busby Burkley-esque musical numbers (and Will Darcy never sang in them!)--I don't know that I'd highly recommend it. Perhaps as a rental, after a tough day or week, and you just need a fluff movie which makes you laugh. Wow.

This posts title comes from the song of the same title from Victor/Victoria. Another strange musical in which a woman portrays a man pretending to be a woman. It has it's moments, I'll give it that. Plus, it's Julie Andrews, so some things can be forgiven. I have been known to laugh at this as well.

No comments: