March 02, 2005

When the dawn comes, tonight will be a memory too, and a new day will begin

This post is dedicated to my sister Jessica. Jessica, Jessica, Jessica. She is the sister who is the hardest for me to get along with (and, consequently, the hardest person I've ever known for me to get along with). She is married, and has two daughters. She lives in the Denver area (can't seem to leave Colorado). And today, today she is 23. How time does fly.

She is actually the very first memory I have, that I know of. I had been 2 years old for 10 days when she was born. I believe she was brought home soon after her birth. I remember looking out of the window of our mobile home (I lived in it until the age 4 1/2), and seeing my parents climb the stairs with a bundle of blankets in my mom's arms. My Grandma Brown leaned down to me and said, "That's your sister Jessica Dawn." I remember that both sets of my grandparents were there, taking care of me, which of course made me feel like the luckiest girl in the world! That image is so clear in my mind that once my mom and I had a dispute about it. I recalled the memory, and she said, "Grandma Brown wasn't there!"
"Yes she was!"
"My parents were there, but not the Browns."
"Yes they were."
"Hmmm . . . you know, now that I think about it, they were."

So, Happy Birthday sister o'mine. I don't think she reads my blog, but I've got to cover my bases, right?

In other news, Carson City is getting a whiff of spring lately. HUZZAH!!!!!!!!!! I cannot wait until it's the full blown impact of spring. Up until last Friday, it's been bitter cold. There wasn't even the slightest hint of sunlight for about a full two weeks. Slowly, and surely, I'm seeing the spring take over. Grass is looking a tad bit greener. Sunshine is prevailing (when it isn't raining; infinitely preferable to the snow imho). In the late morning until the early evening, I can take a jacket or leave it! After Charlie Brown on Saturday, both Chris and I turned to get our coats after we stood, and were pleased to see them missing--because we hadn't brought them!

If you cannot tell, spring is my favorite of all seasons. I love the renewal of color and warmth that hits. I love all the energy that fills me up and makes me want to go on bike rides, or jump rope, or take long walks, or . . . I love how instantly the entire world seems to be a better place and everyone seems to be in a better mood. I watch the grass for the moment when it goes to a complete, thorough, emerald green--and I always miss it! The brilliance of the green when I first notice it always shocks me as it thrills me. I long for the moment when I feel like wearing my summery/spring dresses to work again, along with my open toed shoes. I find myself walking with a lighter step and suppressing the urge to break into song less in the springtime. I think some of the magic of the spring is that it comes directly after winter. I'm always ready for spring about November or so. The patience I must endure makes the spring even more of a miraculous occurence.

So, the title is for Jessica. It's from the song "Memory" from CATS. I really can't stand that musical, but it is her favorite, and this is her favorite song from it (possibly even her favorite song, period). I will set aside my loathing of the show for my sister on her birthday. Happy Birthday, Jess! I love you!

No comments: