March 22, 2005

Have you heard, it's in the stars/next July we collide with Mars

Happy Tuesday to all. I am ill, but at school. Drat! Actually, I think I'll be taking tomorrow off. I went to Barnes again on Sunday (Four trips to Reno in one week! Not a normal week, to be sure). I was enjoying a book I was starting about the Adams family--not the television show! John, Abigail, John Quincy, Charles, etc. For some reason, they fascinate me as a family. Anyway, I could feel a sore throat coming on. Yesterday was terrible. I was going to call in sick, but I had a girl in first period who was supposed to give a speech. That classs just finished their fourth of five debates today, and this girl missed one. As an alternative assignment, I told her to take her topic and present a five minute persuasive speech on her side of the issue. Imagine my ire when I told her yesterday that it was time to present it, and she said, "No, I don't want to." When I asked why, she had the gall to tell me that she simply didn't want to do it, so she wasn't going to. And my sole purpose of getting out of bed was for her?????????? I was pretty ticked. I'm taking tomorrow off, because I won't be missing anything big--debates, quizzes, tests, etc.

But I am excited today, too! I have the Discipleship class I'm taking at church tonight, which has been a joy for me. I love being a student again! The light homework, and fresh perspective on things in the Bible, epiphanies, etc. It's a great deal of fun. I've decided that on my way there or back, I will purchase the ever-great film Finding Neverland. I loved this movie. Of course, J.M. Barrie is one of my favorite authors in his lifestyle (and I am always charmed when I reread Peter Pan). Then, there's the added benefit of a great script, filming, and plot. And last, but most certainly NOT in the least, fine performances from both Kate Winslet and Johnny Depp. The moment I left the theater in Reno with Janina after we saw it during our orphaned Christmas, I proclaimed my intention to buy it asap. That would be today! Huzzah!

Oh, and here's another thing: I'm getting orphaned again for Easter! :( Dad called on Saturday to see if I wanted to fly down with them to San Diego this Saturday. My parents are buying my grandparents well used 5th wheel and truck. I have decided not to go for three reasons: 1) Money. I need to take about 8 tests to be a fully licensed teacher in Nevada. I'm signing up to take the bulk of them now. 2) I'm ending my grading period this Friday (which is a 1/2 day) for the quarter, and want to finish all of it prior to 3) On Tuesday, I'm headed to L.A. with Ann and Kyrie for about 3 1/2 days. My parents are driving back on Tuesday. I'd be willing to meet them in L.A. were it not for the other two factors. L.A. should be fun! I'll see my dear cousins, play at Disneyland, and Halley has said she'll cut my hair (she's currently attending a beauty/fashion design school down there)! Many adventures will be had, of this I"m certain.

Seeing Jenifer (who is no longer Brasuell) was awesome! I got to meet her husband, daughter and stepdaughter. It was neat to see what she's been up to, how she's matured, and everything else. I also got caught up on a lot of class gossip--the class I began Kindergarten with. Wow. Things seem pretty different in Exeter, CA, that's for sure!

This lyric comes from the Cole Porter classic "Well Did You Evah?" from Dubarry was a Lady, and later used in the hilarious film High Society with Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong, Celeste Holm, and the ever-glamorous Grace Kelly. I would highly recommend seeing this film if you've not yet. It's based on The Philadelphia Story (which stars Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, and Jimmy Stewart). Speaking of which, that recently came out on DVD, too . . . hmm. Perhaps my shopping basket will need to have another addition soon . . .

No comments: