March 10, 2005

Tell me more! Tell me more!

Yeah for Fridays! I love 'em. Truth be told, I'd like to shake hands with the person who established that two days off from work was how the country should be run. Yessir, I'd like to shake their hand and thank them personally. Brilliant, sheer brilliance!

So, as you can see, I'm looking forward to tomorrow. I like Fridays. For one thing, it's a more casual day for teachers. I can wear jeans if I like! For another thing, 9 times out of 10, whoever does devotions that week provides breakfast for the rest of us. Not your usual, grab a dozen or so donuts and call it good, either. Nope! Egg creations have been overly popular this year--which I've certainly enjoyed. Then there's the fact that I can look forward to sleeping in the next two days. I'll often times be a little more lenient with my lesson plans (tomorrow goes like this: 1st period--10th graders working on debates. 2nd period--9th grade study session for the Monday To Kill a Mockingbird test, after a vocab quiz. 3rd period--11th/12th grade watching more of Pride and Prejudice. 4th period--8th grade free read after their research papers are turned in. Bible--Ch. 14 test, prayer groups. 5th period--prep. 6th period--7th graders take a vocabulary quiz, and we'll read more from the book their doing now, Cheaper by the Dozen). The two drawbacks to tomorrow are the rushing to get 7th/8th grades grades in their folders, and the fact that I have to stay until 4:30 to tutor my Dutch 8th grade boy. However, starting next week, he'll be tutored on Tues. and Thurs. . . . now that the basketball season is over (boys--undefeated, girls--lost every game). Huzzah!

This weekend, I'm seeing The Fantasticks. Yeah, the show where I was thoroughly embarrassed by my callback singing. They could hear that one of the notes was out of my range--they all flinched! Yet they had me do it again and go even higher? Talk about humiliations galore! Particularly since Josh was there, and he hates me for some reason unbeknownst to myself. If I'm going to be awful, I'd prefer to do it within a group of people who I know are supporting me, thank you! I hope it'll be good. I've been getting daily reports from Ann, who is the Assistant Director of it (along with Stephanie).

We had rehearsal tonight and went over "The Mob Song," "Belle," and the finale. We blocked most of "The Mob Song." I think it'll be a fun number, particularly since it is so different from any other number in the show. Actually, none of them are really the same. In "Belle," I gossip about everyone (particularly Belle). In "Be Our Guest," I am an overly cheerful table (they announced it wrong when they said we were napkins). In "Gaston," I get to be a drunk wench. We've not gone over "The Battle" yet, but I'm in that and eager to see what I do. Anyway, I've decided that it would be a blast to do the whole "Mob Song" while brandishing a wooden spoon with cake batter on it. I hope they'll let me! I don't know. Gina and Stephanie A. tend to just laugh at me when I suggest things like this. Actually, tonight Gina was laughing at me a lot, so I guess I amuse our British choreographer. Since she makes me laugh a lot, it's nice to know that there's a mutual amusement being shared.

Oooh! And the best part of rehearsal? After it was over! We had to be in a different room, the one near Stephanie A.'s office. We were by all the various posters and collages of the shows WNMTC has put on. I found the poster of their 1997 production of The Wizard of Oz, and found my wonderful cousin Kelsey! I showed Chris after (along with Hana's picture, since she was in it, too, and had showed me earlier) once we were dismissed. Stephanie A. announced that we could go to see the Nevada Opera put on their final dress rehearsal for The Merry Widow next Wednesday for free! Woo-hoo! Chris and I got Stephanie to put us down as very interested. Operas are great, especially when all you're paying for is the gas to Reno, and food if you get it! ;)

The title, you can probably guess, comes from the song "Summer Loving" from the ever popular, ever fluff musical Grease. I realized that next month, I'll have been blogging a year. And, while I didn't necessarily start with my musical lyrics as titles, it soon became a common practice. The best part? I've not yet repeated any! Some lyrics come from the same songs, but never the same set of lyrics. I don't know whether to be proud, or to be analyzed for this quirk.

No comments: