June 10, 2004

Oh what a Circus, Oh what a Show!

My longing for the Broadway stage as a career has once again heightened as it is bound to do at least once a year. The Tony Awards were awesome this year, infinitely superior to last years, I might add. I love Hugh Jackmen, and his performance from Boy From Oz was definitely different than anything else there! I want to see Avenue Q, but not nearly as much as Wicked! I love Defying Gravity! I think I may want to sing The Wizard and I from Wicked at my auditions in two weeks. Idina Menzel and Kristen Chenowith are awesome! I also want to see Fiddler on the Roof, Wonderful Town and (though nothing was shown from it, but it has Hunter Foster, Sutton's older brother whom I also adore) Little Shop of Horrors. Oh, and I want to see Raisin in the Sun. GO AUDRA!!!!!!!!! I must take a break and just mention how incredibly gifted this woman is! Audra McDonald has been in 5 Broadway shows. She has been nominated for 5 Tony Awards. She has won 4 of them--including this year. Her singing inspires me, she always seems so humble. Girl from Fresno makes it to the big time! Ken Parks, our director for Bye Bye Birdie in Exeter, worked with Audra in the Good Company Players in Fresno. I feel so proud ever time she's in anything, like I'm somewhat a part of it. Everyone from the valley felt that way, if they were in theatre. Perhaps it is cheesy, but it's the only way I can think of to describe this feeling.

I've now seen Harry Potter twice . . . and loved it both times. I noticed some differences with the directing, and felt a bit mixed about the changes. I loved how "natural" some of the changes were. The kids in normal clothing for more of the film, the fact that more of the film was outside than before was also nice. However, the changing of the locality of certain things bothered me a bit. Emma Thompson was hysterical! They cut out or changed things more so than I noticed in the other two films, but it was also shorter than the other two.

Luis Palau is this week. I had my first meeting tonight for "The Reno Transport Team." I was definitely the only person younger than 40 there, perhaps the only one younger than 50. It was freezing! I am excited about this opportunity, though. It'll be fun, and I get to have some cool stuff (backstage pass, special parking, etc.). I still have no idea how I got on this team.

During our choir rehearsal on Saturday (prior to the Sat. night and Sun. morning performances), Don Bauman and I got to talking. We began talking about improv, and he thought that an Improv night at our Sat. Coffee House at church would be fun. I concurred. Then he asked me if I wanted to team teach an Improv class at our "Drama Camp" this summer. My part would only be on one Sunday night for about two hours. How fun!

My mom and I got tickets to see The Scarlet Pimpernel (the musical) in Sacramento in August. It's been one of the top musicals I've wanted to see for years. I can't wait! I'm going to try to catch The Wizard of Oz next weekend, put on WNCC. I just wish I could see it with Kelsey, since she has been obsessed with it since before birth.

My life feels kind of like these lyrics to a song by the same title from Evita. I love the fact that I do not have a dull life. Random thoughts, I know, but the fact remains true.

I must go, for I need to be up early in order to get to Rancho San Rafael Recreational park tomorrow to help out with my team. Adieu!

No comments: