June 22, 2004

This droopiness in me miraculously melts, when I step on a stage and make believe I'm someone else!

I just returned from the Aspen building at WNCC where I, Lynette Irene Brown, have just auditioned for my first WNMTC musicals! YEEHAW! They're over with!!!!!!!!!! I decided to audition for both Carousel and Once Upon a Mattress.

I showed up, and filled out my "application" for the audition. I felt ill. Those butterflies must have been joined by about a thousand other flying species; all of which were tap dancing as they flew around my stomach. I LOATHE auditions of any sort! I sat by myself, and realized that several of the bigwigs of this particular company sat right behind me. One had been Maria in West Side Story. Another just finished playing Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz last Sunday. EEK!

I went up for my audition (I was number 51) and announced that I would be singing "Not for the Life of Me" from Thoroughly Modern Millie. I heard gasps of excitement behind me, which made me feel good. I read somewhere that some professional actors and actresses go into an audition with the frame of mind that "This is a performance!" Deciding that this was a novel and wise approach, I adopted this attitude for myself. I nailed the song--imho. I felt really good about it, and got a huge round of applause! Considering the fact that I knew absolutely nobody in the room, I had to admit, it felt good.

I collected my sheet music and headed back to my seat. The director said, "Lynette, where did you perform in these shows?" I answered "College in Idaho, and in high school, in both Colorado and California." "Oh! Welcome to Carson City!" On the way to my seat, a guy stopped me and said, "Thanks! I'll be thinking of that song for the rest of the night!" I grinned and responded, "At least it's not a bad song to have in your head." He agreed. The girl who was Maria (who is consequently the daughter of the director and also named Maria)talked to me for a bit. She seemed very nice.

I listened to her beautifully sing "Glitter and be Gay" from Candide (a hilarious and almost impossible song to sing.), and I received IT! I got a callback sheet! WOOO-HOOO! Happy Dance Break. I will be going in tomorrow for my Carousel callback for Carrie Pipperidge (the role I wanted in that show). On Thursday, I'll be going into my Once Upon a Mattress callback for Princess Winnifred (the role I wanted in that show), and Lady Larkin! Pray once again for me, as the competition will be a tad stiffer and more focused. I'm completely thrilled, though.

Since I'm in such a great mood, I shall post some of the lyrics from my fabulous title, taken from "It's Me!" from the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical Me and Juliet.

I'm colorless and shy
Inhibited and dull
My entrance into any room
Is followed by a lull.

This droopiness in me
Miraculously melts
When I step on a stage
And make believe
I'm someone else.
Quite suddenly,
I'm mentally and physically equipped
With the most unusual qualities
It says so in the script!

No comments: