April 21, 2005

Bianca!

So I didn't want to post until I knew what part I got. They certainly took their time letting us know! Grr. I hate being patient about things like that!

So, Sunday was sort of a strange day on many different levels. First of all was the audition in V.C. We met a man by the name of Bill at the Gold Hill Saloon/Hotel around 1. He sat us down and told us that Katherine had already been pre-cast! :( Actually, Chris had gotten a call from a lady named Michele who was one of the directors and was going to play the Shrew, so I knew when we saw Into the Woods on Saturday (which was pretty good). Bill told us some of their history, and then walked us over to the Gazebo where the play will be performed. He told us their plans for that, and then walked us down to a house where the rehearsals are held. By this time, we'd probably been at our "audition" for about 35-40 minutes. And not yet read. The director, Perry (Michele couldn't come that early), joined us. He asked for our theatre history, and we told him. He then launched into a full out synopsis of the plot. At one point, he forgot Hortensio's name, and I wanted to supply it but was afraid I'd come off as a rude know-it-all. Not the impression I want to start off with. He had Chris read for Petruchio. I had to read for Gremio then. Then, he had me read for Bianca and Chris read Lucentio. He kind of implied that I may get the part of Bianca, and straight out said that he was looking at Chris for Petruchio. They kept saying that they hoped we'd do the show. They seemed a bit apologetic about Kate being pre-cast. Oh, and they said they may be able to pay us! Cool.

After this, we went to the Brewery Arts Center for the concert. It was a classical piano concert, which was very good. I sold the concessions, so for the first time in my entire life, I sold alcohol. Wow. I feel so impressed with myself. The concert went very well, and everyone seemed to enjoy it. I helped Chris put things back. We went into his office to put away the money and such. I was busy with something, so he decided to step into the theatre part to talk to people who were rehearsing for the next play. I walked in when I'd finished my job, and another strange thing happened.

I ran into Dave Josten, whom I've met about twice. We've probably been in each other's company approximately 2 hours of our entire lives. He's an older guy (I'd guess late 50s, early 60s), and fairly friendly. We greeted each other, and he asked if I was an artist. I told him the truth; I can manage basic things, but I wouldn't call myself an artist. This was literally what came out of his mouth, "I play a person cheering for the Cubs in this play [It's called Bleacher Bums]. At one point in the show, I have to take off my shirt, and there has to be a Cubs symbol painted on my stomach. You wanna paint it?" I thought (don't ask me why) that he was kidding, so I said, "Sure!" He wasn't kidding. I had to paint his stomach--and let's just say it's quite ample. It was so bizarre, and I laughed at the sureal experience I was partaking in. They asked if I could come to every rehearsal this week and the performances for the next three weekends to paint Dave--and even offered to put me in the program! I agreed, but it turns out that they don't need me. Phew! It was pretty funny.

So, I've now heard about my part in Shrew. I was cast as Bianca! Chris got Petruchio! The weird thing is that this elusive Michele called Chris to tell him we were both cast, and I have not "officially" heard a thing! We went up to see the show they're doing now last night. It was a lot of improv, and different. They tend to do a lot of original one-acts. Perry was telling us that their shows are rehearsed for about 3 weeks prior to being performed. It wasn't too bad for that, I suppose. Just a weird show. Hmm. At least Shrew is starting rehearsals next month, and being performed in August. Interesting; actually I think it'll be fun. Pretty laid back, which could be fun. We'll see.

The title comes once again from Kiss Me Kate from the song, "Bianca." I hope that the reasoning behind the title will be obvious. If not, please read this post again until you figure it out. ;D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yayyyy! Way to go, Miss Bianca. Wishing that I didn't live so far away, because I'd love to see the show (even though I must admit that Taming of the Shrew isn't one of my favorite Shakespearean plays). Good job!

Anonymous said...

Yaay! Congratulations. :) I'm excited for you!