April 02, 2005

L.A.'s changed a lot over the years, since those great gold rush pioneers came in their creaky covered wagons

As all my faithful readers know, this was spring break for me. HUZZAH! Teaching may not be the greatest profession in the world, but there certainly are benefits to what we do.

I had a fun Easter. I did nothing of an "Eastery" sort of celebration, but I did have fun. Being orphaned is not so dreadful.

The next day, I was running errands up like mad. It was more than a little insane, I'll admit it. Laundry. Taking care of my parents' requests for their house (they hadn't tied up all their loose ends prior to going to San Diego). Cleaning. Returning videos to the Minden Library at 9 pm. Dropping off my Extended Versions of The Two Towers and Return of the King to Chris (he borrowed my Fellowship of the Ring and All About Eve on Easter), since he knew I'd be gone this week. I got home around 12:45 a.m., and had to pack since I was leaving for L.A. at 7:30 a.m. Funny how much easier it was to do this in college . . .

Ann and I drove our 8 hours braving some snow and rain on the way down. It was fun to go with Ann. We talked about everything, and when we weren't talking, we were singing with various showtunes from her collection of CDs. Talk about a great time! Perhaps it could only be enjoyed by a select few, though. At any rate, WE enjoyed it! :) We stayed with her Great-Aunt Carol in Glendora. Carol lives about a stone's throw away from Azusa Pacific, and we ended up a bit on the campus (the street we were supposed to turn on wasn't marked!). It sure was enormous compared to NNU; but then, most schools are!

On Wednesday, it was Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure for us! Halley got us both in for free (and told me not to use the pass she and Kelsey gave me for Christmas--so I'm obligated to come down again!). We spent the first hour or so looking for a belt for me. I hadn't brought one (I think I only own one, actually), and my capris from last summer needed them. Ha! Well, in our thorough search, we came up with nill (though we did get the fast pass for Soarin' over California). We looked in The World of Disney store in Downtown Disney, and they didn't have one either. Ann said, "Well, why don't you get a lanyard and loop it through?" We looked at them, and they velcro at the bottom toward the key ring. I bought it (and gave Halley the money so I got it with a 20% discount, too!), and Halley and Nicole (a friend from Carson visiting my cousins) left.

Ann and I went into Disneyland then, and I tied the "belt" as she got a locker. Ironically, before we left the park, around 11:15, we found a belt in the first clothing store on Main Street in Disneyland. Ridiculous! We had a ball! We kept going back and forth between Disneyland and DCA. It was fun. We both loved the new Buzz Lightyear ride at Disneyland. It is like you are in an arcade game. You have laser guns and try to shoot your targets, and you can move your car around. The first time we rode it, I beat Ann. The second time we rode it, she left me in the dust. I still maintain that we are 1 for 1. We've agreed that we will have to go again sometime, and settle this matter once and for all. But, after 14+ hours of walking around or standing on hard concrete will hurt you. Ann started to feel it when we were having soup in breadbowls (mmm) on Paradise Pier for dinner (that's in DCA). I felt it the moment we got off Star Tours around 11:00. It was the same for both of us. Our hips hurt, and each of us felt like we had a knee that needed to pop, but wouldn't. I hadn't worn the best of shoes, so my arch was hurting, too. Strangely enough, with each of these things (except the hip), it was completely my left side that was in pain. Oh, and even though I'd put on sunscreen, I managed to get a burn.

Thursday was sheer agony for me. I walked like a sixty-seven year old woman. I bought some pain reliever, which did help a bit. We went to a vintage clothing shop with Sarah (Ann's future sister-in-law), as well as a place called It's a Wrap (studios sell their old costumes there). They were cool. Ann and I went from there to Hollywood in Highland. We looked at all the handprints and feetprints of various movie stars (Eleanor Powell's was cool, because she also put in a set of taps for her shoes. John Barrymore put his profile. Betty Grable put on her leg!) and enjoyed that. We bought tickets to see Miss Congenielty 2 at Grauman's Chinese Theater (neither of us had seen anything there before, and just wanted to say we have). There were actors dressed up as various figures--Superman, Marilyn Monroe, Chucky, Goofy, etc. wandering around. While in line for our tickets, some monsters I didn't recognize started to play with my hair. I could see their reflection in the window. This sort of thing happens so much, I didn't even turn around. Ann said, "Uh, Lynette. Some things are playing with your hair." "I know!" (through clenched teeth). This seemed to send them away. Both Ann and I were exhausted, so after the movie, we headed back to Glendora. We got there at 7:30ish, and decided to buy slices of pie from the nearby Marie Callendars. We were getting into the car, and ran into a friend of Ann's in the parking lot! I know who this friend, Jennifer, is because I saw her in Hello Dolly! last year, I teach her cousins, and I've met her younger sisters several times. It's a small world after all!

Yesterday we drove home. Showtunes and conversation dominated the trip. My knee didn't hurt as much, but it still felt stiff and like it needed to pop. There was some pain, but not nearly to the extent as the day before. We stopped in Bishop (where I was born and spent a considerable amount of my childhood visiting grandparents) for lunch, and I introduced Ann to Schatt's Bakery. I tried the Vegetarian sandwich for the first time, and have decided that it is my favorite of their sandwiches. Sooooooooo yummy! We got home around 5.

I left my house around 6 to head to the corner Walgreen's for a knee brace. My very first one. After this, I went to the BAC, and saw the children's play, The Pied Piper, which Chris directed. It was adorable! I laughed a lot. Several of the kids were really talented, too. He threw in some "commercials" between Act I and Act II, which the kids did. Chris is very cheesy sometimes, but these took the cake! One of the girls brought out two of the smaller girls, selling them as "Action Figures" for Hamelin. Another one came out selling a CD of 1980s smash hits, "Rats Just Wanna Have Fun," "We Will Bite You," and "We are Hamelin," were some of the listed songs on the CD. The last "commercial" was for Rat Spray, and if you "called" in the next 20 minutes, you'd get the bottle that the Rat Spray came in. Oh Chris. It was so very silly--though, admittedly, enjoyable.

I am actually about to leave. I have a ticket to see the Broadway tour of 42nd Street in Reno this afternoon. I've never seen it before, but I am excited. It's a fun show, lots of tap dancing and fun music. One of the earliest "backstage" movie musicals, and it really did shape the way movie musicals worked after 1930ish when it came out. The stage musical came out in 1980 (the best year to be born in). I am looking forward to it. I love the music. I love the movie. I love anything to do with dance. I expect to love this show.

And that concludes my spring break. Since I don't have to write reports like that anymore (actually, I can't recall ever having to), I felt like reporting it to everyone. Hope you enjoyed it! The lyrics came from the song "Sunset Boulevard," from the musical of the same title.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is quite the report. But fortunately so much more interesting than any I read while teaching (a good thing!). Sounds like you had quite a fun time, and now I'm wishing I was planning a trip to Disneyland.
Someday I'll make it back to that happiest place on earth. But for now, I'll just live vicariously through your post. :)