April 08, 2005

Falling, falling . . .

It's been a somewhat strange week on the school front. Many students and teachers were still in China until Tuesday, stayed home on Wednesday, and came back yesterday. The other students were strangely calm; and I blame Daylight Savings. It's been pleasant, though.

Jeanne loved China. She brought me back a very cute teapot. All the teachers and students had good stories to tell; particularly about my grandfather who went on the trip!!!!!!!!!!! He got lost twice, and beat everyone to the top of the Great Wall! Apparently he was also telling stories about me; the sort that all students love to know. Like the way he drew a face on the back of my very bald head as a baby one time. Sigh. Thanks, grandpa. Actually, it is kinda funny. Not the sort of thing I tell my students, but at least I wan't old enough to have it be embarrassing. Mr. Libby bought purses for all the female teachers and ties for each of the male teachers. Oh, and one of my students brought me back a fan! Jeanne loved the gifts that Ann and I got her at Disneyland; a Mickey Mouse mug, and a collection of three types of hot chocolate--that are purple, pink, and blue!

Last night I had my first rehearsal since about mid-March. We took a week off for the college's Spring Break, which was the week prior to the Carson City School District's. We took that week off as well. Anyway, last night we practiced the Battle scene. I am going to be a villager for that scene. So far I have two bits in it: I get "kicked" in the face by a napkin (our can-can dancers), and I get "salt and peppered" in the eyes! Funny. As a result of the kick, the 10 or so of us fall immediately to the ground. I fall on my left side (and yes, the knee occasionally still hurts). I think I'm going to have a fun perma-bruise until a couple of weeks after the show is over. I keep hitting the same place on my upper left thigh when I fall, and it hurts today!

I got to see some of the costumes for the leads last night. They look great! We teased Chris about looking "hot" in his Lumiere costume. Jen looks great as Babette with the feathers and all. All the men were trying on hair pieces, which was pretty amusing. I loved Dave's Cogsworth costume. Denise is really going all out, and the results have been great so far! Yeah for people with an imagination and the skill for sewing like Denise and my mom! I have very little talent there, and would rather (as Kathy sings in The Last Five Years) "Poke out my eyes out with a needle" than sew. I hate doing it, so I really admire those who do. My mom tried countless times when I was a kid, but to no avail.

This has been my week for devotions at school. I knew I wouldn't have a lot of time to make a breakfast, nor did I want anything too complicated. Mornings and I have never been the best of friends. After tutoring, I searched the Internet for an easy and quick breakfast recipe that would feed around 16. It wasn't as simple as I thought it would be, but I did find something that looked easy. I also figured that if it didn't work out, I had my backup--Nancy offered to help me out and bring muffins today. Anyway, I jotted down the recipe and what it required just before I headed off to rehearsal. I decided to shop for the food afterwards.

We got done after 9, so I quickly ran to the Smith's near my apartment. I found the necessary frozen hash browns, cream cheese, and cheddar cheese soup. I could not for the life of me (HA!) find the final ingredient: Cream of Onion Soup (Has anyone ever even heard of it before? I hadn't.). I decided to improvise, and called my mother, the former Home Ec teacher, to see if onion soup mix made with milk would work. She agreed that this may work, so I decided to take a risk.

Last night, around 10, I made the soup. I was really hoping it would work. This morning, I showered, and then headed downstairs to create my breakfast (the name of the recipe escapes me now). I set the oven for 400 as specified, and mixed together the ingredients. Once mixed, I put it in the oven, set the timer for 40 minutes, and prayed that this worked. It was done at 7:30, so I put it in my car and headed to school.

I gave my little devotional for the day, prayed for all of us, and prefaced my breakfast concoction with the story of how it came to be. It smelled good. Mr. Libby affirmed the look of the dish. He gave us our news for the day, and then, Anita stepped forward to try my breakfast. She tasted it and . . . LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah!!!! I'm actually not a bad cook, I just don't do a lot of it. I enjoy doing it, but I seem to lack the time and inclination when I'm in a rush. That, and it's hard to muster up the desire to cook for only one person. Pathetic, I know.

Oh, and congrats to Stephanie for getting the Baker's Wife in Lake Tahoe Community College's production of Into the Woods! I reallyreallyreally wanted to audition, but the opening night is our school's graduation. GRR! I felt bad about asking for that off, particularly as the 8th grade homeroom teacher. Well, I'll probably see it next week when Carson High School puts it on, as well as the LTCC production. This week, it's South Lake Tahoe's production of Anything Goes for me, and the week after next, Galena High School in Reno is doing that same show, too. If I didn't know so many of the kids in these shows, I don't think I'd be hitting them all, but I feel obligated. It seems weird that with so many musicals, that four different places would be doing two of the same show so close together. It's like Macbeth, Carson High School put it on, UNR's putting it on this month, and it's one of the Shakespeare plays at the Lake Tahoe Shakespeare Festival this summer. Why? I don't get it.

The title of this post comes from "It's a Grand Night for Singing," from State Fair. It is in honor of my perma-bruise from the Battle scene. Ouch. It hurts to sit.

No comments: