April 16, 2005

So kiss me Kate!

AAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I posted how I was planning on auditioning for The Taming of the Shrew. I got the flier yesterday just prior to heading to Borders for Educator's Weekend (more details about this soon), and my 25% discounts. The audition is tomorrow--TOMORROW!!!!!! EEK! I wanted to spend some time going through the script several times. Reread the whole play, reread the scenes Katherine is in, copy down exchanges, etc. But now I cannot do this. Drat! I audition earlier than the 2 pm audition time with Chris at 1. There's a piano concert at the BAC, and I'm volunteering. We have to be there not long after 2. Oh, and I don't know if it's going to be performed at the Piper's Opera House, I think Ann may have gotten that wrong. The flier said nothing of this. I'm incredibly nervous about this, since it seems like eons since I've done any Shakespeare. I have done three shows, and always played a woman in authority (Titania, Escalus (Prince in R&J), and Duchess (actually Duke in Othello)). I just want to have a good audition, and if I could play Katherine it would be a dream come true. So, we'll see what happens, even if I can't prepare to my satisfaction.

Borders is wonderful. I've bought the 2nd and 3rd books of the Thursday Next series, The Taming of the Shrew, and A Midsummer Night's Dream. I'm starting Midsummer soon with 7th grade, and I thought I owned Shrew since I taught it last year, but I guess I just used my Complete Works Anthology. I also purchased Bridget Jones's Diary and Into the Woods. I love my discount! I entered the drawing both yesterday and today, and . . . I won! Considering the fact that I NEVER win anything that is solely based on chance, I don't even know why I bother. I've always said that if there are those soda "under the cap" contests where 1 out of every 5 wins, I'm bound to find the 4 that don't. It's pretty pathetic. Anyway, I won one of the bags filled with books and such. There were a couple that seemed okay, but the rest were ridiculous. My personal favorite was one called "Dangerous Curves." A Harlequin type romance with a Special Agent and a NASCAR driver. The quote on the front reads "Agent Blackwell was all woman--and pure steel". It sounds hysterical. I'll have to find an occasion to give this to some deserving person as a joke! :)

The title from this post comes from the song and show Kiss Me Kate. A very funny Cole Porter musical about a theatre company putting on The Taming of the Shrew, where the leads are actually a divorced couple. Funny stuff.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What fab books you got! I'm going to the library tomorrow to get the Thursday Next books. Drat that Devon for getting me hooked.
As for Taming of the Shrew...how did it go? Details details! (in my most bossy polite voice)