June 02, 2005

I Won't Dance; Don't Ask Me!

Do you ever have those days where people just irritate you to no end? Not even specific people, but people in general? Today is one of those days for me. I don't mind being around those whose company I genuinely enjoy, but on days like this I realize just how small that group is. It is. Today, there's only been one person so far that I've even remotely enjoyed talking to, and that is Nancy, one of our Kindergarten teachers. Out of all my dealings with students and times with teachers today, she's the only one I can say I haven't been irritated by. I don't like feeling this way. Patience is at the top of my prayer list today, and so far I don't think I've been unreasonable (though I am biased) so I think God is honoring my desire.

Anyway, last night. Ugh. Callbacks started at 6. I got home around 10. The first thing we did was the dance audition. Lynette doesn't tap. The last time she did was in Anything Goes, which was exactly ten years ago. Yup, been awhile. The dance audition took about 2 hours. I think I moved at the right times, if that says anything. "Ball change, slide, pas das res, lean. Ball change, slide, pas das res, lean.Chaussey, chaussey, pivot, pivot. Chaussey round 1-2-3-4-5 out, out, in. Falep, falep, falep, falep, heel, heel. Falep, falep, falep, falep, heel, heel. Falep, falep, heel, heel. Falep, falep, heel, heel. Falep 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8, heel, heel. Falep 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-2-2-3-4-5-6-7 heel, heel. Step, ball change, step, ball change, step! Paddle, paddle, paddle, step clap, step, clap! Falep, falep, falep, step, clap, step, clap! Paddle in, out, in, out, all the way around 1-2-3-4! Out, falep, out, and up with the hands!!!!!!!!!" Thank you, Gina. (I think I spelled things correctly). Doing this, in general was difficult. Doing it in time with the "I've Got Rhythm" number from the Crazy for You CD was hellish. Then, I had to dance romantically with Chris Withey (my drunken "Gaston" partner). "Chaussey in and out. Two chausseys to the other side! Turn under, waltz for 8 counts, promenade around, ball change, shuffle hop, ball change, shuffle, hop and lean!" This one was easier, and we did it to "But Not for Me." It was actually kind of soothing compared to the madness from before.

Oh, and did I mention that I had missed some instructions from the auditions? Yeah, apparently they said it after I left. Each girl was to wear black fishnets, black leotard, and character shoes. That's all for the dance audition! I was wearing my character shoes, luckily, but that was all of the ensemble. So, not only did I look out of place with the dancing, I didn't match the "uniform."

At 8:15ish, they began the part I knew I could do! Phew! I was the second to read for Polly, but I had to do the scene with Tony and Peter-Pedro (His name is Pedro, but so many people call him Peter that this is what he is called, now). Polly is very funny, but it was kind of a serious scene, and yes, Lynette Brown had to say a few words that she really just doesn't. Good times. It's a strange scene, because Bobby is being his playful, funny self, Polly is very upset, and Zangler is just confused. Tony was serious through the whole thing, which I feel kind of threw off the chemistry. I did my best, which is all they could ask for. Me, too.

They also had me read a scene which only one group did. They had a new girl named Michelle read Irene (I honestly think she'll get it), Bubba read for Bobby, and I read for Bobby's mother! Well, I got laughs then. Playing a domineering, aristocratic mother of a guy less than ten years younger than me? A part I wouldn't get to sing at all with? Apparently, other people thought it was great, and said they thought I could play it! Gee. Where do I sign up? Sorry, that people irritation popping up again.

An hour or so later, the 10 of us females called back for anything sang "Someone to Watch Over Me." I felt like I did a decent job on it. But there were only about 3 who I wasn't overly impressed with. Drat! I stuck around and listened to others read. Marcus reading for anything was hysterical. I liked Caitlyn (Mrs. Potts) in her reading. Janina did a good job. I really don't know what to expect from this. I normally can walk out, and be able to "call" who got what. I would say that Michelle is the only one who stood out as the one I could "call" after last night. If I were to cast it, I would cast Marcus as Bobby, Jen (the one I called Space Age Barbie when she was a fork during BATB) as Polly, Michelle as Irene, and I cannot say who else for anything. It'll be interesting to read the cast list on Friday.

So, tonight will be insane. These callbacks are going to be completely absurd. I think there are about 15 of us called back just for Tzeitel, the oldest daughter! I haven't a clue about the other four daughters, Golde, Yente, Tevye, Motel, Percheik, Fyedka, the Russians, etc. It's going to be a loooooooong night. Sigh.

The title comes from a song from the thirties, and it was used in Swing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Hang in there. :) Good luck...