January 01, 2005

I'll admit that I've dished you, gossiped and gloated, but I'm so devoted

Perhaps this will not be the way most blog posts would go on a day, such as the beginning of one's 25th year of life. Well, that is just fine by me. I've been inspired to tell the world some about my sister Janina. Those who have followed faithfully my accounts of life will realize that Janina is my youngest sister (with Jessica in between the two of us). Janina is the calm, "go with the flow" sort that neither Jessica or I have ever been (though it is something I have tried to work on for myself), therefore making her the peacemaker in our family. I adore Janina. I always did, even as a young child. I remember being a four year old and playing with this new baby as much as possible. In second grade, I got home about 30 minutes before Jessica because she was in afternoon kindergarten. I would hold off on everything, even a snack, because I knew that that half hour was the one chance I could count on to play with Janina by myself. Janina is 20 now (which still amazes me), and still a load of fun. She can also provide a great deal of laughter because she will just sometimes miss the obvious or have weird things happen to her. One such thing happened last night. I will share it, but here are some of my personal favorite "Janinaisms."

1) When we went to NYC a couple of summers ago. She'd never been. We took a subway from Queens (we'd flown into La Guardia) to Manhatten, where we were staying. We all were tired, and got off the train, hauling our bags. After we'd walked a couple of feet away, I said, "Where's Janina?" Jessica, Kelsey, Halley and I all turned to see that Janina was literally stuck in the subway doors. She couldn't move at all! Subway doors will usually bounce back open when the hit a person, but not in this case! They finally did open, but we were all howling with laughter.

2) Janina went to a movie with Kelsey and Halley once, and they were listening to No Doubt in the car. The next song was another No Doubt song, as was the third one. She thought they were listening to the radio, and commented on how strange it was to hear three in a row. Kelsey said, "It's a CD." So, they went and watched the movie. When they left, the song which they had been listening to picked up again. It was then that it clicked, "OH! It's a CD!"

3) Janina put her hair in dredlocks one year for Halloween with a special wax that was supposed to come out fairly quickly. It didn't. In fact, it took almost a month to get the stuff out. I remember laughing and telling my friends at NNU about it. That year, my family came up for Thanksgiving (NNU's Homecoming, so I had to stick around for music and other things). I remember how disappointed we all were that it was out of her hair, because we had conjured up so many great images in our minds of how she'd looked.

4) She bought a shirt once that she thought said she wasn't gay. It actually read, "Let's get one thing straight, I'm not" in rainbow letters. My cousins had to explain the shirt to her. She returned it, but she couldn't JUST return it. She went back into Hot Topic, "I need to return this shirt. I thought I knew what it said. But I didn't. Now I do, and I don't want it anymore," (direct quote). The guy said, "Well, that's never happened before!" He and the other salesperson were laughing every time she went back in there anytime in the next few months!

Last night, we had a small family New Year's Eve Party at my parents house. My parents, Janina, Jacque, Laurie and myself. We had a good time. We also called my aunt Denise (from the L.A. area) to wish her a happy birthday. Jacque called, and we were passing the phone around each leaving a message for her on her machine. Jacque went, mom, myself and I passed the phone onto Janina. She said, "Hello . . . how're ya doing? Hello?" My mom leaned in and said, "It's the machine!" We all died. Janina passed the phone to Laurie who couldn't even talk because she was laughing so hard, so dad finished our call amidst all of our laughing. Oh, it was hysterical!

Love ya, Nina! :D

The title comes from a song called "Bosom Buddies" from Mame. It is sung by two best friends who can be absolutely vicious at the same time completely loyal to each other. An amusing song, to be sure. Hopefully I've not been vicious. She's the first to laugh at her own "Janinaisms," so I doubt she'll think me so.

No comments: