January 21, 2005

Look for the Silver Lining

This is a week worth remembering. I've laughed. I've cried. I've been frustrated. I've been entertained. I've been sick to my stomach with nerves. I've been calm and relaxed. I've been completely and utterly exhausted. Ever have one of these weeks? They're not my favorite. I have a feeling that the majority of people would agree with me. I have to say after experiencing a week like this, I pray for the next one to be mundane and very forgetable.

As you know, Tuesday I had my audition. Wednesday, I had my callback for The Fantasticks. I felt like it started off pretty well. I sang the bit from "Much More" with a surprising confidence, considering the first time I'd heard the song was Tuesday night. I read one of the Luisa monologues, which was a lot of fun (she's either living the world with the hugest imagination ever, or she's absolutely bonkers). I read the treehouse scene with Leoney as El Gallo (thankfully not Josh!). Then they had us sing a bit from "Round and Round" when Luisa hits the really high notes. Being a legitimate mezzo, but a comfortable alto, I did not impress them. I squeaked the last note on key (I think!). It was bad. Cross Luisa off the list of roles I'll be able to play someday.

Last night were the callbacks for BATB, which I felt infinitely more confident about. After all, I know the music, and the story. I've seen the movie, and the stage version twice. They started at 6 pm. They let all the minor characters go first. They didn't even have us sing for Belle until about 7:45! It was pure insanity. I read once for Belle (only two read twice), but it was weird. I read a funny scene between Belle, Gaston (Jerry), and LeFou (Alex). No one else read that scene. Everyone else got to read a dramatic scene! :( I think I would have preferred that. Ho-hum. Well, then they gave us the parts to read for a scene between Babette and Lumiere. Chris and I paired up, and I had a great time. He is a very good actor (actually surprising me multiple times last night with acting and singing), and I feel calmer around him. Plus, it was fun to do a flirtatious French accent. Good times to be had. At about 9:30, they sent everyone home, except for Marie, Therese, Leoney, Hana, Peter, Jenn, Josh, Chris, and myself. The first three were kept for Belle and Beast scenes. The rest of us were taught the Babette and Lumiere tango. I love dancing, so it was fun!

Well, the results are in. I will be playing . . . a napkin! And a soloist in the chorus. Yeah, I'm disappointed. However, it will be fun, I think. Plus, it's less stress on me! Less blocking, lines, music, etc. There's always a silver lining to be found, right?

Hence the title. It's actually from a song by the same title from a musical called Till the Clouds Roll By. I don't know that much about it, except that it's from the 1920s. No random Broadway facts, but the song is truly beautiful!

2 comments:

Devon said...

Lynette, I need your address in order to send you your Wicked cd. Email me!

Anonymous said...

Way to be an optimist about it! I'm sorry you didn't get Babette :( Well, there's always next time. And I have faith that EVENTUALLY you'll get that perfect part. Hope this week is less stressful and emotional than last!

--Stephanie