January 15, 2005

I've always been SHY!!!!!!!

Okay, I've got about two and a half days before my audition for The Fantasticks and Beauty and the Beast. Breathe in, breathe out. I really do hate auditions. I get so nervous, it wears on my mind for the entire week leading up to them, and then after as well, until I know the results. Last time was truly scary, because I knew myself, and that was all. This time will be a little easier, in regards to knowing people and all. However, I think this audition is going to be packed! EEK! Last night, Stephanie and Chris heard my audition song, and they both said it sounded good. Stephanie said that the tone was great. Chris said he didn't know I could sing that well. At least that was encouraging!

Last night we celebrated Chris' 30th at a Mexican Resturant. I knew Chris (obviously!), Stephanie, Arthur (who was in Carousel), and Jeff--the gawker I met once. It was fun getting to meet new people. I got to meet some "bigwigs" from the BAC (where Chris now works; so long ClickBond). They encouraged me to audition for some of their plays sometime. It would be fun to do a play again, as You Can't Take It With You was my last one--three years seems so long ago! I met Chris' parents, who were very nice. It was fun to talk a little about Colorado with them, since they lived in Durango for a long time. After the party, Stephanie and I taught Chris how to play Phase 10, and he won. Figures.

I saw Carson High School's production of Macbeth on Thursday. It was wonderful in comparison to their production of Oliver Twist. I liked the guy who played Macbeth. Dom was great as Banquo. There were some very good things about this particular production. However, there were also things that were not great. For instance, they had about 18 girls playing the witches at one point, which didn't really work well (although I liked the dancing around the cauldron bit). Lady Macbeth said her lines so quickly that I couldn't even understand them--and I just taught the play last month! She did not really react to things well (I wanted to laugh when she fainted in order to keep Macbeth from confessing), was not manipulative or domineering, etc. Granted, I may be a little snobby in how I think things should be interpreted when it comes to Shakespeare, but I can usually at least appreciate a different perspective. However, there are some givens (Puck=funny), and I don't think that all of my expectations for the part of Lady Macbeth are really "out there." Oh well.

So, this week is it; the end of the quarter and first semester. I seem to be pretty on top of my grading at the moment, so this is a good thing. Next week, I have a test in every class on Friday, plus book reports this Wed. for the jr. high, reading log collections, grammar book corrections, author tests to grade, and on the list grows. Ick. Oh, and I also get to be the Basketball scorekeeper this year for CCS home games. Woo-hoo. Our first game is on Tuesday.

The title of this post comes from the song of the same title from Once Upon a Mattress. Very amusing song. It sort of encompasses how I'm feeling, and what I'll do about it. I may be feeling very shy about auditioning, but in order to do well, I want to be the exact opposite of it! BTW, I'm singing a song from The Scarlet Pimpernel prior to its Broadway run. It's called "Home Again." Very pretty, shows a good range, and keeps with the theme of some of the parts I'm hoping for. I think I'll know by Friday what part I have. Here's hoping!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you'll do great for your auditions! Break a leg!

--Stephanie
creaturebug.typepad.com

Anonymous said...

So, how did your auditions go? I'm dying to know!

--Stephanie