January 08, 2005

Snow, snow, snow, snow, SNOW!

Yesterday, I walked out of my house at 7:10 so that I could enter all of the grading I had done on Thursday night and so I could fill out blue folders before the morning meeting at 7:45. I was feeling pretty good about it all. Then I opened our front door.

Snowflakes were swirling around--big flakes. Enormous amounts of flakes. It seemed as though they had banded together as a strong unit to give humans a surprise attack! It worked for me! My car was covered with about three inches of snow all the way around.

I sighed, unlocked my car, put down my bag, purse, and the 10 posterboards I was holding. I put my key in the ignition, and started the defrost. When I first got the car, my parents gave me a scraper that has proved to be invaluable to me. It is very long, with a scraper on one side and a broom on the other. I had to sweep snow off of every window on my car. Then, I had to scrape ice off of every window. I could probably have been deemed crazy by any sane person walking around by my bitter mutterings as to why a snow day had not been called. Jeanne had a scary experience/accident driving in the snow last year in Illinois (where she is from), so she sort of has a phobia about it now. I agreed to drive her to school.

We got to school, and Mr. Libby had cancelled our morning meeting. Since Friday meetings often times will come with breakfast (depending on who does devotions), I was a bit disappointed. Oh well. My grading was done and on the blue folder sheets quicker.

I had three students in my first period class. I had one student in my second period class. Ann came over and said that the students were going to hang out in Building C, if we wanted to join them. Trailing her was Mr. Libby saying we were going to have an early dismissal at 12:30. Lovely. Kids got pulled from every class all "day" long. The 7-12th grade just spent the day playing in Building C. It was, to say the least, a rather frustrating day. I've had my lesson plans planned through the end of the quarter/semester, which is the week after next. Now I have to figure out how we can make this up at some point. Ugh!

We almost had a couple of accidents while driving, but nothing came of them (thank God!). Perhaps I should have put the bloody chains back on, but I didn't think I'd need them. It's supposed to continue the snowing until Tuesday. Hooray. It really isn't spring yet??? It needs to be. I saw Stephanie on Thursday, and she said that they had 8 ft. of snow up in Tahoe! I watched the news last night. Apparently, it's supposed to reach 12 ft. this weekend!

Another thing I feel like telling the world (because this NEVER happens), I went to bed at 8 pm last night! I think the last time that really happened, I was, maybe, 3. I always read, played, or did the "Counting Challenge" as a kid when I went to bed, so even when 8:00 was my bedtime, it never happened. I was sooooo tired yesterday! I think part of it was just getting back into the swing of things. Anyway, I woke up after 9 this morning, and I feel great! Ha!

The title seemed like it was appropriate. It is called "Snow" and, once again, it's from Irving Berlin's collection of music used in White Christmas.

No comments: