January 30, 2005

Troubles will slide away . . .

Remember how I was determined to have a relaxing weekend, full of fun? Well, I managed to only do two things which involved effort/work of any sort. I created a study guide for my 11/12 grade class (Which has grown by two people as of tomorrow! We jumped from 3 seniors to 5 in a matter of two weeks. Crazy.), and I did laundry. Everything else? Pure fun . . . mostly.

Friday was our first rehearsal for the whole cast of BATB. The read-through. Now, I don't mind read-throughs of plays, considering that if you're cast in a play, odds are you probably have lines. Not in this show! There are over 90 people in this production!!!!!!!!!! Ridiculous! And, they turned people away! Clearly something must be done. Not just 90 people involved; 90+ people in the cast!!!! What were Bob, Stephanie A., and Gina thinking???????????? Anyhoo, knowing that the odds of having lines as a napkin were fairly slim and that we weren't working on the music (so I have no idea when/where my solo is), I came prepared. I brought a book of puzzles (my particular favorites being the Logic Problems, and the Places, Please puzzles). Did I get to work on them? Nope. Stephanie A. (director) had me read Babette's lines, since Jenn wasn't there. I got to share my chair with both of the little boys playing Chip, since Sonja let me use her script, and neither of them have one yet. Three people in one chair wasn't as comfortable as they would like, so they sat elsewhere for Act II. These two boys are absolutely adorable!

Yesterday was the day I did laundry. I also read plenty, slept in, and watched a silly musical from the 1940s (I believe) called My Gal, Sal with Rita Hayworth and Victor Mature. Fluff and fun it was. I also went to see the Reno Little Theatre Production of Henry V with Chris, Jeff, and three of Jeff's students (he teaches acting at WNCC). Chris warned me that last year the same company had done Henry IV, and it wasn't good (though he warned me while on the way there, and too far out for me to be dropped off somewhere!). But, this play, along with Richard III, is my favorite Shakespearean History play. It wasn't too bad, I've got to say. The girl who was Katherine/Young Boy played Ariel in the horrid production of Footloose at UNR, and I wasn't impressed with her then. This, I felt like she did a pretty decent job. I even mostly liked Josh's portrayal as the young Henry V! After, he came out and talked to Chris and Jeff, and ignored me as usual (although he actually was "big" enough to look at me for about 1 second when I made a lame joke, and there was humor in his eyes!!!!!!!).

Today, I did the Study Guide. I also went to church (and learned that HCC will now have 1 1/2 Music Pastors!), lunch with my mom, visit with Aunt Laurie, Uncle Jacque, Grandma and Grandpa, and then up to Tahoe to see fun Esther Heath. That girl is sooooo much fun! Yeah for funny and entertaining friends!!!! She got a call from Cara Heffner, and now that I'm home, I've gotten an e-mail from Dawn Stuvland. It's like I'm on NNU overload. I caught her up on the lives of Becky, Kara, Jen, Tiffany, Gideon, and such. She filled me in on the goings on of Andrea, Sara C., Cara, and Lee. I also got to meet her two older brothers, and her two sisters-in-law. They were all great! I miss my NNU friends, probably more when I get to see only one of them every now and then. It sort of whets my appetite without actually satisfying a full 1% of it. :(

This title comes from the song in Ragtime called "Atlantic City." The song talks about the ability to escape from everyday life and have fun. I feel like that is how my weekend has been, overall. Bring on the Monday, I'm ready for ya!

No comments: